Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Pin Shoot Central Lake MI

Since my latest thinking is about ammo for the pin shoot, and the Federal HST arrived, I took a good look at all the options I have yesterday. This picture is one of each all lined up; left to right: Federal HST P45HST2 230 JHP, Federal Hi-Shok 45D 230 HP, Federal American Eagle AE45A 230 FMJ, S&B SB45A 230 FMJ, and an A-Zoom snap cap dummy round.
    Name:  Screenshot from 2023-03-24 07-36-48.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  43.7 KB

I was especially curious about whether the ogive of the HST was perhaps different than the Hi-Shok. Due to my vision, it's hard for me to see that close up, so taking the picture let me look at on the computer screen. I also dropped in a short line segment (the green bar) using my drawing tool against the edge of the bullet. I then copy/pasted that same segment against all three of the remaining rounds. The segment ended up angled 290 degrees. It kinda sorta looks to me like the ogive on the two hollow point rounds is the same? Meaning I think the HST will run about the same, good or bad, as the Hi-Shok.

I only have one box of the HST, and a lot more Hi-Shok, so I probably have enough at this point to practice and shoot the match, and with the HST if I ever decide to carry the Garrison I have a load that's on Doc's list.

The other option I'm looking at is this EGW HD higher mag catch, link below.

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-higher-ma...checkered-blue

Reviews are mixed online, but it is not a large cost part and if it makes the gun more reliable...Either way, ammo or parts, I'll need to take a break from the tinkering as we have some travel coming up, so I'll get back to this in late April/May.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

...Meaning I think the HST will run about the same, good or bad, as the Hi-Shok.
    I was able to get away to the square range for some family lead therapy today. I had loaded 3xWC ETM mags with 8 rounds each of Federal HST. The 24 rounds shot without any problems. I have the rest of the box of 50 to try; I meant to do some slow feed tests but didn't get around to it. It may have just been me but I felt like the gun was "happier" chambering the ammo than before. Probably voodoo. The gun currently has a 19 main and a 17 recoil, and I've polished the bejeesus out of the Extractor hook. There really wasn't the "KERCHUNK" feeling I was getting before. Obviously three mags is zilch for a test, but it did give me some confidence.

At this point I have a boat load of Hi Shok, some HST and Hornady for JHPs, and I need to get some more AE if I'm going to practice with it. Not sure what direction I'll go with. I need the gun to run. The Pin Shoot depends on it. If I muck up a stage because of a stoppage, it won't matter what kind of ammo I have in the gun. Given the history, I'm leaning towards just getting the AE and get on with working on shot placement. I am pretty sure the AE 230 ball has the highest chance of running in the gun. I just can't miss.

My son brought his cowboy action stuff. I had a blast shooting what he told me is his Winchester 1873 reproduction (Miroku I think?) carbine. My first time shooting 45 Long Colt. It was fun, but dang those sights are tiny.

Name:  IMG_2244.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  46.5 KB

This week we are heading out of town for a few weeks, should be back at it by the end of April.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

The other option I'm looking at is this EGW HD higher mag catch, link below.

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-higher-ma...checkered-blue

Reviews are mixed online, but it is not a large cost part and if it makes the gun more reliable...Either way, ammo or parts, I'll need to take a break from the tinkering as we have some travel coming up, so I'll get back to this in late April/May.
    Finally got this part in and installed.

Name:  IMG_2451.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  67.0 KB

Using one of my WC ETM 8 rounders (the ones I plan to use for The Pin Shoot), with the factory SA mag catch, the distance from top of the ejector to the mag feed lip top was 0.147". After the new EGW Raised Mag catch was installed, the distance shortened to 0.120", a delta of 0.027". That is more than the advertised 0.020", but this was done after the dry fit, and the gun has not been shot, so perhaps some normal wear will take place. I re-used the Wolff #1 1911 mag spring for the install, and a spare mag catch lock I'd ordered. The EGW part is extremely well made, very nice looking, and features a slightly extended surface with very positive knurling on it.

A brief test with my A-Zoom snap caps went ok. The sound and feel of the round chambering was more SCHLOOP than KERCHUNK (Hard to describe; it's just after many, many dry chamberings of this gun I kind of know how it sounds and feels at this point.) At any rate there were no issues with the snap caps at least.

The plan is to take my stash of Federal Hi-Shok to the range this week and do a live fire exercise, simulating the protocol I will use at the rail for the table shoots. I'll also do some slow-feed test chamberings with live rounds per Hilton Yam's 1911 Slow Feed Test protocol, for a pass/fail evaluation. (I prefer to do the slow-feed tests with live ammo at the range, just in case something weird happens.)

I am planning for success with the Hi-Shok; the fall back is the ball Federal 230 AE which while not a flat nose or HP is at least pretty zippy for FMJ. So, perhaps the pins will not cringe in fear, but at least glance nervously when I step up to the rail.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-30-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Happy to report good success with the new EGW raised mag catch today in live fire.

51 rounds, no malfunctions.

Name:  IMG_2455.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  65.6 KB

I preceded the shooting with Hilton Yam's slow feed test (take a full 8 round mag, slowly release slide to contact, then let go). It passed, 10 for 10. I could tell this was going to go well because of how the rounds slithered into the chamber. Whereas before there was always this kind of "hitch" in the feed cycle, now the rounds just go "schloop" and dive into the gun, even with the slide starting out with zero velocity, at rest against the rear of the cartridge (per the feed test protocol.)

Operation of the gun was solid with just a bit of hang up pressing the mag release with a round chambered. The EGW button sticks out a bit more than stock, and is harder to press. This isn't the mag catch spring, because I reused it. It's possible I've never swapped mags with a loaded round. At least it was noticeable. Once the mag release is pressed in, the mags drop out normally. All mags locked in place; I used my SA OEM 7 rounder as a Barney, with two 7 round WC #47Cs and four WC ETCM #500s .

I also shot 8 rounds of Federal HST, no issues there either. I didn't remember to bring any FMJ, but I would guess it will run fine (it always did.)

For the last five Hi Shok, I did a group slo fire at 10 yards to make sure it was me steering rounds, not the gun.

Name:  IMG_2456.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  33.5 KB

I think while the Hi Shok prints a bit lower than I thought, the gun seems on point for windage. (I've been using @stomridertx's B8 targets, I like them a lot.)

While I only shot about a box of ammo today, my confidence in the gun is restored. I'm very happy how it is running hollow point ammo now. One of my objectives for this 1911 project was "runs hollow point ammo like a sewing machine", and I may be finally at that point.

There is a local Bowling Pin meet near me in Leesburg Fl middle of the month. I have no idea what kind of match it is, but I will plan to check it our and use it as a dry rehearsal for The Pin Shoot. Definitely feeling good about the gun at this point.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-02-2023 at 05:06 PM.

Much regret, however I will be unable to attend the Pin Shoot this year due to circumstances beyond my control.

Good luck to all the competitors and hopefully I’ll be able to attend in 2024.

Sorry to hear that, RJ. We'll be thinking of you there.

Best wishes and best of health to you and Mrs. RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Sorry to hear that, RJ. We'll be thinking of you there.

Best wishes and best of health to you and Mrs. RJ.
    Thanks Mas, much appreciate the kind words. We are hoping this is just one of those speed bumps God gives you from time to time. Good luck at the match and say hi to The Boss for us. Looking forward to 2024!

Sorry to hear that @RJ. I've been enjoying your posts and was looking forward to meeting you in person.

I'm trying to figure out my final travel details. I'll likely be there Wed - Friday.

Bumping to say I just signed up for the 2024 event under Black Friday pricing.

@MVS Good luck at the Pin Shoot. Hope to see you in Central Lake in June.

User Tag List