Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Specific instances where competition got me kilt today

yeah but we shoot ‘white’ popper and plates all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was explaining how I smoked the hostage to a close friend from work that is fairly left and race sensitive but with a very dark sense of humor and she jumped on the fact that we shoot the brown targets but not white. It was funny but I realized I had nothing to fight her with on that one.
    I remember talking with a Tier 1 guy at a match, and asked him if visualization played a role in his operations. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said something like, "Yeah. A lot."

I've shot matches with weird colored targets, or targets requiring memorization of numbers, drawings, or faces. Honestly, I don't find it that tough because I'm used to strategize/memorize/visualize before any stage, no matter if there's a walkthrough or not.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    yeah but we shoot ‘white’ popper and plates all the time.
    But they are white supremacist poppers.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    But they are white supremacist poppers.
    Better than painting steel brown that blends in with the berms!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I've shot matches with weird colored targets, or targets requiring memorization of numbers, drawings, or faces. Honestly, I don't find it that tough because I'm used to strategize/memorize/visualize before any stage, no matter if there's a walkthrough or not.
    Oregon State Championship last year had a unique twist on a stage. White targets were shoot targets, browns were No-Shoots. To make matters worse, the MD stapled up a bunch of shot up / pasted over brown targets during setup. I spent every second of the walk-thru time reprograming my brain.

My local club has used blue or yellow paint during winter matches when the berms were snow covered. Blue or yellow on white is way better than white on white and shouldn’t have to worry too much about the color blind folks.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for sharing here.

I’m reluctant to say anything other than moments like these can be hugely formative. You learn a lot from losing.

It sounds like you know what you need to work - could you get out with the team again at another point down the road? Maybe as a goal or just something to test yourself with again.

I shot a hostage once several times in a two-gun stage - lol. It happens, and some stages are deliberately stretching.

What’re the things you’re wanting to work after something like this?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was explaining how I smoked the hostage to a close friend from work that is fairly left and race sensitive but with a very dark sense of humor and she jumped on the fact that we shoot the brown targets but not white. It was funny but I realized I had nothing to fight her with on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I shot a match years ago with a work friend who was from Puerto Rico. She started making jokes about all the “shoot the brown, not the white” target arrays. It was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Thanks for sharing here.

I’m reluctant to say anything other than moments like these can be hugely formative. You learn a lot from losing.

It sounds like you know what you need to work - could you get out with the team again at another point down the road? Maybe as a goal or just something to test yourself with again.

I shot a hostage once several times in a two-gun stage - lol. It happens, and some stages are deliberately stretching.

What’re the things you’re wanting to work after something like this?
    Unfortunately I’m on my way out of this organization but I’ll only be a few hours from The Range Complex in NC so I’m hoping to take advantage of that. Ideally I’d love to shoot a few monthly matches and then take a class or something along those lines just to keep the balance. The competition shoots have absolutely been beneficial in a lot of ways and after doing it for a while, it’s interesting to think about how few classes will have you shooting on the move or even moving then shooting while the chance has been there in every single match I’ve shot.

But a few of the issues wouldn’t have been present if I had continued taking classes from MIL/LEO guys and not done so much competition. There are absolutely benefits to each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Oregon State Championship last year had a unique twist on a stage. White targets were shoot targets, browns were No-Shoots. To make matters worse, the MD stapled up a bunch of shot up / pasted over brown targets during setup. I spent every second of the walk-thru time reprograming my brain.

My local club has used blue or yellow paint during winter matches when the berms were snow covered. Blue or yellow on white is way better than white on white and shouldn’t have to worry too much about the color blind folks.
    State championship of WHAT?
    USPSA says
    4.1.2Scoring targets used in all USPSA matches must be of a single color, as follows:
    4.1.2.1 The scoring area of scoring cardboardtargets must be of a typical cardboard color.
    4.1.2.2 The entire front of scoring metal targets must be painted a single color, preferably white.
    Scoring metal targets may not be painted black, red or green

IDPA seems not to care.
    Non-threats are to have spread hands.

A local wildcat shoot has inverted that, he puts guns and knives on threat targets, a blank target is not a threat, not to be shot.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    State championship of WHAT?
    USPSA says
    4.1.2Scoring targets used in all USPSA matches must be of a single color, as follows:
    4.1.2.1 The scoring area of scoring cardboardtargets must be of a typical cardboard color.
    4.1.2.2 The entire front of scoring metal targets must be painted a single color, preferably white.
    Scoring metal targets may not be painted black, red or green
    USPSA match, and the stage was approved as part of the level 2 sanctioning. And this is not the first time it was done. You’re inferring that ‘typical cardboard color’ is brown, but the backside is white.

User Tag List