Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Specific instances where competition got me kilt today

Specific instances where competition got me kilt today

A year or two ago, there was a lively debate on competition skills transferring to actual shootings. I mention it because this is following that train of thought.

I’ve been active Army for a number of years and while I work in a combat oriented organization, my job doesn’t involve pulling triggers any more than anyone else in the Army. Most of my time shooting has been tactical/self defense focused with the obvious nuances between a domestic SD shooting and WWIII where everyone may be on the gun. In the last 2-3 years though, I’ve done a lot more competition shooting than anything else. That’s largely because of the frequency of matches here vs the lack of “tactical” training classes plus I feel that I’m at an intermediate level and often the classes that are offered are either basic or advanced. I’ve done lots of basic and started noticing diminishing returns for the money. I’ve done fewer advanced courses but those are few and far between, usually cost way more time and money, and I’ve felt that some aspects were a little out of my grasp before so also not worth the full investment.

With that said, when I “compete”, I haven’t played to win. I feel that it’s more beneficial to me not to walk a stage until I have it memorized because I know that I get tunnel visioned and shooting different stages all the time can help with that. I’ve also had a bad habit of shooting too fast for my desired level of accuracy for a long time so I’ve been trying to slow down a bit to tighten my hits, even if faster c zones would be better for my score. Finally, I won’t typically hug barricades but I do try to work them a little bit as cover/concealment instead of just obstacles I have to get around.

So with all of that in mind, I shot an event at work today and while my accuracy and speed were decent, I took a big hit on procedural penalties. While these may be specific to my organization, they exist for a reason in that context so I figured I’d share here for discussion since it helps me reflect.

Penalties

1. Shot the hostage.
    Instead of the standard cardboard targets I’m used to where white is no shoot, the paper targets they used for part of it had varying shades of gray and white silhouettes. I had no idea there was a shoot and no shoot silhouette on the same paper target and it wasn’t until after I’d sent the rounds that I realized I smoked the no shoot. I noticed as I was pulling away from my sight and looking for the next target that one was grey and one was white and all I saw was a humanish shape surrounded by an obvious border.

2. Engaging from behind cover.
    I didn’t actually lose points here but only because I heard other guys talking about it and deliberately told myself to kneel behind the low barricade. I think I brought this up in the other thread as it’s a glaring mistake from afar but I may have done it myself if not for that.

3. Moving with an empty gun.
    Another thing that seems like a glaring problem from the sidelines and this I absolutely did. I ran dry on rifle and started reloading on the move.

4. Scan before moving.
    I often look at the range scan as a bit theatrical but in the context of a massive firefight with teammates, it makes sense to take a quick glance around before leaving cover. If it’s you and a buddy, you may know where he’s at and if it’s safe to move based on him firing. With 12+ on your side alone, maybe not so much. I didn’t do this once.

This hurt my ego a bit and was a good reminder that balance is usually the right answer and so occasionally finding something with a different set of rules for a different playing field is probably beneficial for many of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the targets are so vague that you only realized it was supposed to be a hostage afterwards, that strikes me more as a gotcha than a shooter's error.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    If the targets are so vague that you only realized it was supposed to be a hostage afterwards, that strikes me more as a gotcha than a shooter's error.
    I don’t think so. I get tunnel visioned and saw it as I was transitioning so it’s not like I had to walk the stage after to see it. Plus some of these guys operate at one of the highest levels of combat operations in the military (hostage rescue) so attention to detail is critical.

How often do you guys do these events at work? That's a factor in the balance aspect. If the frequency is there on the tac side, it's easy to separate the two in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    How often do you guys do these events at work? That's a factor in the balance aspect. If the frequency is there on the tac side, it's easy to separate the two in my experience.
    The teams do them pretty often. This was my first time since it’s not really a part of my job.

ETA - one other thing that I forgot, even though it wasn’t a procedural error. I struggled like crazy getting my pistol re-holstered. A lot of the competing that I’ve been doing has been rifle only, but even in two gun I haven’t found a match that lets you reholster so I was a bit rusty and then with being smoked, my plate carrier, and slung rifle, it was rough. I did a bit of dry fire before to include holstering and unholstering and have rarely struggled with it in the past, but the combination of all of these variables kicked my ass there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The teams do them pretty often. This was my first time since it’s not really a part of my job.

That is something you have to take into account. Someone on a team that regularly does that kind of training in addition to shooting competition may not have the issues you deemed to be bad habits from competition

Specific instances where competition got me kilt today

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    That is something you have to take into account. Someone on a team that regularly does that kind of training in addition to shooting competition may not have the issues you deemed to be bad habits from competition
    Well that’s kind of my point. Not necessarily that I have a bad habit from it, but it is a habit and I don’t have the opposing habit of having to be more discerning in target selection because it’s been so long since I’ve trained anything but “brown - shoot, white - don’t shoot, black - miss.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Well that’s kind of my point. Not necessarily that I have a bad habit from it, but it is a habit and I don’t have the opposing habit of having to be more discerning in target selection because it’s been so long since I’ve trained anything but “brown - shoot, white - don’t shoot, black - miss.”

European IPSC has white shoot and brown no shoot…

How’s that for a mind fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    European IPSC has white shoot and brown no shoot…

How’s that for a mind fuck.
    I was explaining how I smoked the hostage to a close friend from work that is fairly left and race sensitive but with a very dark sense of humor and she jumped on the fact that we shoot the brown targets but not white. It was funny but I realized I had nothing to fight her with on that one.

User Tag List