Thread: Boot kilties sliding forward

Boot kilties sliding forward

Since people on this forum know just about everything, this seems like a good place to ask this extremely silly question.

I have this pair of Danner logger boots that have tongue protectors / false tongues / kilties that keep sliding forward on their own, so that they end up sticking out much farther than what seems right. When I lace up the boots I place the kilties where I would like them to be, but as soon as I take a few steps they are sticking way out. Am I perhaps making some sort of a noob lacing error, or is there something else I should know that I don't that would explain why they do that? This is my first pair of boots that have such a feature.

This is strictly an aesthetic and extremely trivial issue. Any actual work boots would have to be safety rated, certified and approved. This pair of boots was simply the last pair of discontinued stock, so I got them because at that price why the hell not.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I love my Danner Quarry boots. They are safety toed and all that. Some of the most comfortable footwear I own.

I took the fringy things out of the laces and threw them in my bag of random leather scraps that might be useful one day before I ever wore the boots.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    To clarify.... This?

Are you inserting the very bottom lace through it (like the photo) or trying to cross two lace segments through?
    If the latter, then, re-lace per photo.
    If already laced per photo, is the hole through the kiltie much larger then the lace diameter? New laces?
    If it's laced correctly with correct size laces, try snugging the laces in the lowest 1-2 eyelets a bit more.

ETA: Does the kiltie not sit under the upper as in photo? Toss it and get a wider one.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Those things are useless as tits on a boar hog.
    Throw them away.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    To clarify.... This?

Are you inserting the very bottom lace through it (like the photo) or trying to cross two lace segments through?
    If already laced per photo, is the hole through the kiltie much larger then the lace diameter? New laces?
    If it's laced correctly with correct size laces, try snugging the laces in the lowest 1-2 eyelets a bit more.

ETA: Does the kiltie not sit under the upper as in photo? Toss it and get a wider one.
    I've got a pair of boots that look identical to those. You've got good taste!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    To clarify.... This?

This.

What are they supposed to do?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    They are supposed to protect the softer leather of the boot tongue from dirt and abrasive materials that can get caught in the laces.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    They are supposed to protect the softer leather of the boot tongue from dirt and abrasive materials that can get caught in the laces.
    I was going to say they get you kilt.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List