Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Surefire Stiletto or Streamlight Wedge with a rifle

Using a Surefire Stiletto or Streamlight Wedge with a rifle

Adding white lights to traditional bolt rifles is aesthetically unappealing to me but using a light with a rifle may be necessary. It seems traditional round lights with tail cap switches would be difficult. What about flat lights with a side switch?

What got me thinking about this was a Kit Badger video where Ivan mentioned (if I remember correctly) he used an AK without a mounted light in a class but used a handheld light pressing the tail cap switch into a hand stop on the forend. This seemed like a good idea.

So to take it a step further, has anyone tried one of the newer flat lights on a bolt, lever, AK or other rifle holding it against the forend (wrapping the hand around the light and forend) and manipulating the side switch with a thumb to activate the light? Stable? Viable alternative or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    What got me thinking about this was a Kit Badger video where Ivan mentioned (if I remember correctly) he used an AK without a mounted light in a class but used a handheld light pressing the tail cap switch into a hand stop on the forend. This seemed like a good idea.
    I don't think I would agree with that. At best I would classify that as "It could work in a pinch".

If you think you could realistically need a light on your rifle, put a light on your rifle and don't worry about how it looks. Having to hold on to a light not attached to the rifle would definitely be a disadvantage since it would impact your grip, any reloads, or just general movements where you need your other hand.

I generally lean towards the side of not having to have a WML on a pistol for concealed carry since it greatly reduces comfort for me, but I can't see having a light on a long gun impacting your ability to have the gun with you one way or the other.

I've searched for wounded game in the dark with a handheld and an iron-sighted Winchester 94 30-30. It sucked. Don't recommend it. Rifle mounted lights are a thing for a reason.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I would duct tape a 3 cell Maglite to the fore end before trying fiddle around with an unattached handheld.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I would duct tape a 3 cell Maglite to the fore end before trying fiddle around with an unattached handheld.
    I learned this lesson and applied that solution (yes, with the 3 cell maglight) at the age of 13 on a Marlin 22 when my grandmother asked me to come up and spend a couple of nights killing the armadillos that were digging holes in her yard. It worked quite well all things considered.

The suggestions regarding whether a light should be mounted are noted and appreciated. However, reluctance and expense drives the absence of lights/light mounts on older bolt and other rifles. It seems the biggest problem using a non-attached light with a rifle is turning it on and off. Even a round Surefire fits reasonably comfortably cradled between the thumb and forefinger held up against the stock but is impossible to easily turn on and off.

As is probably true for most who carry a flashlight, it is used multiple times a day. If it were attached to a gun such as a pistol or a rifle, it would be rarely if ever used other than for training. It is there when there is a target or suspected target, not to find a tent stake or toy in a closet.

The suggestions regarding whether a light should be mounted are noted and appreciated. However, reluctance and expense drives the absence of lights/light mounts on older bolt and other rifles. It seems the biggest problem using a non-attached light with a rifle is turning it on and off. Even a round Surefire fits reasonably comfortably cradled between the thumb and forefinger held up against the stock but is impossible to easily turn on and off.

As is probably true for most who carry a flashlight, it is used multiple times a day. If it were attached to a gun such as a pistol or a rifle, it would be rarely if ever used other than for training. It is there when there is a target or suspected target, not to find a tent stake or toy in a closet.
    Why are you trying to attach a light to a bolt gun? Their general purposes are a bit contradictory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

No, the biggest problem with trying to use a handheld light with a long gun isn’t turning it on and off. It’s trying to juggle using a flashlight and rifle fore end with the same hand without dropping one or the other and still being effective while using the rifle. This gets even harder when you add in movement at night (everybody trips over shit in the dark, the dark is hard) or doing things like reloading or clearing a malfunction or shooting from supported positions. It’s a world of fumblefuckery you should experience yourself by doing some dryfire drills with some snap caps (so you can do stuff like reload) and whatever rifle you plan to use.

Also, you don’t use a weapon mounted light to replace a handheld flashlight. It’s a supplement and it doesn’t have to be economically prohibitive if you use something like a surefireG2 and a basic ring mount.

My WML solution for bolt guns is a piece of rail section attached at forend 9:00. M600 or equivalent, 6P/G2 in a VTAC mount, etc work well. Activated with support side thumb. Shootable in both constant and momentary.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I found this Kit Badger video, it was the first one that popped up in the search bar. It's his AAR for Pressburg's night vision course and he had to do improvise with this handheld against the handstop technique because he didn't put a white light on the gun he was taking to a night course. Who does that?

User Tag List