Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Shot Leather SME

5 Shot Leather SME

I am seriously considering getting a 5 Shot Leather SME for my BHP. I am interested in input on how it carries compared to Kydex or an Enigma.

I have noticed that with my Kydex AIWB holsters that the thinner belts work better and with my 5 Shot IWB a good leather belt works better. If I do get the SME I will likely get the 5 inch 1911.

the SME is the best leather AIWB rig going. I prefer it above all other kydex AIWB holsters as well. I converted my leather loops to DCC monoblock clips, but now you can order it that way from 5Shot. I don't care for the leather loops, as they add thickness, and aren't perfectly spaced for my pant loops. The SME with DCC loops work perfectly with my Tenicor belt, and my OXbelt.

I also use the 5" 1911 rig for the BHP. It fits very well, and even blocks the custom, extended thumb safety on my BHP. I did not like the shorter length of the SME for a commander, so I stick to 5" regardless of slide length

I've had an early SME for several years for a P30, and before that a M&P9. It carries a touch lower than most of my JMCustom kydex holsters.

With the right pants (not too low riding), it's flat out the most comfortable holster I have.

It's a little thicker at the waistband, so I don't wear it with a T-shirt much (I'm pretty lean though). Apparently newer versions are a little less thick?
    The DCC monoblock idea sounds like it might be the ticket to reduce thickness.

All in all, I love it. It tucks the pistol very very well.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    the SME is the best leather AIWB rig going. I prefer it above all other kydex AIWB holsters as well. I converted my leather loops to DCC monoblock clips, but now you can order it that way from 5Shot. I don't care for the leather loops, as they add thickness, and aren't perfectly spaced for my pant loops. The SME with DCC loops work perfectly with my Tenicor belt, and my OXbelt.

I also use the 5" 1911 rig for the BHP. It fits very well, and even blocks the custom, extended thumb safety on my BHP. I did not like the shorter length of the SME for a commander, so I stick to 5" regardless of slide length
    They are great holsters aren’t they? But I’m with you about the leather loops. Glad you found a solution.

I would love to pick one up for a P30 someday.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Does anybody happen to know if the SME can be made to accommodate an RDO. Bonus points if it's a PX4 compact with an RDO...

Site Supporter
    What's the wait like?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Does anybody happen to know if the SME can be made to accommodate an RDO. Bonus points if it's a PX4 compact with an RDO...
    I would imagine that's not a problem. Ralston has done RDS holsters before, I dunno about the SME specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    What's the wait like?
    IIRC ~24mo right now. Call John and get on the list, the sooner you do, the happier you'll be.

Lately I haven't been carrying my STI in my SME, but it's one of my favorites to carry.

What's the wait like?
    @NPV

What's the wait like?
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My most recent one took 18 months (natural rough out so non standard order). I’ll echo what @theJanitor said it is simply the best AIWB leather rig going.

User Tag List