Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugghhh...Astigmatism

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'd advise you to quit worrying about dot distortion very much. If you're noticing it, you're focusing in the wrong spot.
    This ^^^^ Wayne has it right.

The only time I worry about the buggered-up dots I see is when I'm zeroing an Aimpoint on a carbine or shotgun.

Ditto on the above - - - target focus. Granted, it was easy for me, because I have strongly corrected glasses, and unless I'm wearing bifocals or glasses with one lens adjusted for front sight focus (have those, but haven't put them on since switching to dots), I can't focus on the front sight anyway.

And, I have some astigmatism, a bit of glaucoma in one eye, and developing cataracts, so it's not like a have a crystal clear focus on anything. But, as also noted, find an eye doc who understands what you're doing. I was lucky enough to find one locally who understands what shooters need. And as I've said before on some of these red dot threads, they work miracles for (most) people who have issues focusing on irons.

A red dot on a .22 can work wonders for trigger control. The absence of recoil is very revealing of poor trigger work.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Get a better optometrist? Tell them what you need?

I have a pretty bad astigmatism and glasses work very well for me.
    Every situation is different. I still struggle with blurry dots even with correction. I'm told nearsighted with farsighted astigmatism is a very small portion of the population. Less people = less money going into the research which means limited options.

I've found Holosun green dots work best for me, but the Stiner also looked pretty good for the 10-20 rounds I put through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

The only time I worry about the buggered-up dots I see is when I'm zeroing an Aimpoint on a carbine or shotgun.
    I'm glad you guys are happy with that. I prefer to focus on the target and have a clear reticle. Why not both?
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    I'm glad you guys are happy with that. I prefer to focus on the target and have a clear reticle. Why not both?
    This why we can't have nice SMEs.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Because it may be physiologically impossible for you. Current dot LED and optics technology are at their best ever but if your eye correction can't be made to meet up with the optics, then you're going to have dot distortion. Circling back to the original answer, it shouldn't matter in field performance and use of the tool.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Might as well note this again here. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole of 1x prism scopes as an alternative to the dot, due to astigmatism.

Ended up with three different units. The Micro-sized Burris, the Vortex and the Leupold. Back-to-backed them all against an H1 and decided the overall optical performance of the H1 when working with both eyes open more than overcame the lack of clarity of the dot any time a 1x was the right answer. And it wasn't even close. I think I still have a Vortex I need to sell.

FWIW, I'm one of those people with better than 20/20 vision uncorrected and still enough astigmatism for the dots to be annoying.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Might as well note this again here. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole of 1x prism scopes as an alternative to the dot, due to astigmatism.

Ended up with three different units. The Micro-sized Burris, the Vortex and the Leupold. Back-to-backed them all against an H1 and decided the overall optical performance of the H1 when working with both eyes open more than overcame the lack of clarity of the dot any time a 1x was the right answer. And it wasn't even close. I think I still have a Vortex I need to sell.

FWIW, I'm one of those people with better than 20/20 vision uncorrected and still enough astigmatism for the dots to be annoying.
    If you try the H-2, T-2 or Duty RDS, you may find that distortion is gone (it will certainly be less).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    If you try the H-2, T-2 or Duty RDS, you may find that distortion is gone (it will certainly be less).
    I hear that many people experience less distortion with the later generation models. Sadly, my T-2 and Duty RDS are just as distorted to my eyes as the H-1 and PRO I used to have. The only RDS optics I’ve looked through which had reticles appear as actual circles to me are Trijicon RMRs. Some people are just lucky I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

THIS.

I have a slight astigmatism (not enough to correct for yet) and dots can be fuzzy/distorted/bloom a bit on me... I never really notice it when shooting RMR'd Glocks or Aimpoints on AR's. Look at the target, not the dot. Use a lower brightness setting, and on an AR, flip up the rear peep when zeroing.

User Tag List