Thread: Unexpected reloading result

Unexpected reloading result

I've been loading 3.4gr Sport Pistol/115gr coated bullets for my full-size 9mm 1911 forever, round count in the many tens of thousands). This is a lightly sprung gun (8 lb. variable main spring) used for steel challenge. The recoil is obviously minimal but even so a bit of sight alignment management is required during target transitions. I recently shot afew mags through this gun using a load for my Kimber Pro Carry 1911 (4" bull barrel): 3.5 gr SP, 127gr TC), closer to a factory load. I would have expected a bit more recoil with the same powder load and heavier bullet.

Fired the first round and the sights returned to the original point of aim in near perfect alignment. No intervention/reaction on my part was required. The Steel Challenge goal has always been to achieve the quietest bunny fart, generally with very light bullets and a fast powder.

I'm inclined to think that the force curve produced by this new load is simply a better match to the natural frequency of my mechanics on the gun, but it never occurred to me to explore loads with this in mine. I had loads in the past that would just about drop the cases on my right foot, but I'm forced to consider that two slow a slide action my result in my actually chasing the sight picture, whereas with the seemingly faster slide action I don't have time to chase.

Has anyone had a similar observation or care to comment on what I'm experiencing?

I remember listening to Eric Grauffel on a podcast and he said something similar. He said something along the lines of liking a 115 or 124gr (I forget which) over the 147gr because he wanted the slide to complete it's cycle quicker. While the 147s loaded the way most competitors do tame recoil, he felt it hampered him because the sights werent ready for him as fast as they could be. I think it was part of the 1st shooters summit a couple years back.

He approachs alot of stuff with a unique perspective. His ideas on grip, stance, and other stuff seem counter intuitive to most. That being said his results speak for themselves.

Edit:
    Here is the podcast. https://firearmsnation.com/eric-grau...summit-replay/

He talks about it around 3/4s of the way through. The player doesnt give time, on my phone it lines up near the back half of the play button.
    Last edited by Cory; 06-14-2022 at 06:14 AM.

User Tag List