Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Is Here. 114 And Shot Our Steel Challenge Match.

Pro tip from someone who has hypohydrosis. Take a handkerchief, roll up ice cubes in it and tie it around your neck. Keep a spare pre rolled in an ice chest and swap out as needed.
    Taking a break from social media.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    We'd do that on hot days at work. Wrap ice in a tee shirt and put it around your neck.

Heat never really bothered me working or playing ball. Cold though, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Oh, you can definitely acclimatize for that kind of ambient temperature in the desert in it of itself if one is a healthy adult, simply due to how dry the air is; the wet-bulb temperature is more than enough to allow you to stay okay if you're properly hydrating. The problem comes up when there's other factors besides the raw ambient temperature; e.g., sun exposure, wind, etc. At that kind of temperature, wind isn't always helpful, because it just becomes a convection oven of sorts, and can heat you up faster. Being in the sun adds another heat source besides just the ambient temperature, and can be a huge source of issue; I run in the sun to help keep myself acclimatized (nothing quite like finishing a run and then sweating for another 40 minutes afterwards, even after a shower and sitting in AC), but I'm only doing ~2 to ~4 miles, before I'm uncomfortable enough to decide to stop (though nowhere near being actually dangerously close to overheating); however, if I'm running after sundown, even in just the minutes after during the sunset, I can easily truck on for another 6 to 10 miles with much less exertion.

I would strongly suggest a sun umbrella and portable seating for when you're not shooting. The shade is a huge difference in the desert, enough that we have plenty of folks on the SAR team that will carry one as part of their kit (I've been meaning to buy one to stick in my rescue pack, will probably do it after this post), in conjunction with our other shade building materials. If you're older, hydration alone is not necessarily going to be enough, simply because your body's ability to thermoregulate has degraded.

I'll also note that heat stroke will absolutely fuck you up. Even if you don't die, you can easily have life-altering consequences. Even heat exhaustion can cause issues that linger for weeks, so I would be exceedingly cautious about the coming match, simply because it may take your body quite some time to recover, and if you haven't fully recovered, you'd be at an elevated risk of heat-related illnesses again.
    Back before my knees became very unhappy with running, I used to run weekly, and didn't let the Arizona summer stop me. I definitely built up a tolerance and could do a lot more physical activity in the heat as a result.

With the heat dome thing that's going on, we hit the one-teens much earlier than usual, so the jump in temperature without a chance to acclimate might have made a difference in the impact that this particular temperature made vs. years past.

The above is great advice, and all I'd add is if you're going to try to acclimate to full-speed (or as close to full-speed as is possible), do it slowly and incrementally. Be safe out there.

Oh, and nothing like sweating in a cool shower after sitting in the pool after running when it's 121...

I worked in the PHX valley a few summers as a surveyor. When the temps hit 105° or so we stopped work. That was usually around 10 or 11 AM on the really hot days. We went back to work around 4 and worked until dark. The temps I'm seeing in PHX now are hotter than I remember. I wouldn't be physically active outside in 114°. That's just asking for trouble.

Around here the pavement starts to buckle when it's over 100.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-14-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Pre-hydrating helps me more than anything except air conditioning. I drink more water than normal the evening before along with a bottle of Gatorade before bed. Match day morning coffee is limited, I still gotta have it, but I take it easy and start the water/Gatorade mix very early compared to normal. I'm one of those that can sweat out every drop I put in and I have to get a head start on it. If I do this routine my stamina is noticeably improved. Not AZ heat but close at times. Oklahoma and Texas is where I shoot.

Site Supporter
    I actually like the heat. Love working in it and I would prefer 105 to 55. That said, not everyone can take it as well. Those of us who handle it better than others, might be at greater risk of pushing ourselves without realzing that we are entering dangerous territory.

Last week I worked hard in near 100 degree heat for three straight days. In the sun for much of it, and even spent time around a fire. Plus I worked in the second story of a shop with no AC or moving air and was lifting weights during that week. I didn't come close to passing out, but it took it out of me. The fourth day I had planned to do some more mowing but I said forget it. It was just too much to deal with.

Be very careful. Shooting a match is not worth risking your safety or the safety of others. On average I drink a gallon of water a day, and even I can feel dehydrated at times when pushing myself.

I've been out in the sun so much recently that I am more brown than my wife. That change hasn't improved my Spanish though.

Site Supporter
    I have hiked in over 100 degree heat twice in west Texas. The first time I puked that night, and the second time I saw a fat black guy with a black kid standing on the side of the road (rural middle of nowhere west Texas). My brother, who was with me, didn't see the non existent pair. I let him drive.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post

I went prepared
    Going prepared is what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Pre-hydrating helps me more than anything except air conditioning. I drink more water than normal the evening before along with a bottle of Gatorade before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If you tell that story to your cardiologist, he/she'll let you skip your stress test this year.
    The other way around. We see signs of micro heart damage from overexertion in heat sometimes. Probably not a bad idea to know if heart is OK to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Oh, you can definitely acclimatize for that kind of ambient temperature in the desert in it of itself if one is a healthy adult, simply due to how dry the air is.
    You can also run into a trouble because of how dry air is. Humidity often times slows people down while dry air is easier to handle and people keep going further than they should. I had that happen once. Took me out for a couple of days.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Wow it’s hot!

102 yesterday, 100 right. Worked outside both days and it’s brutal. Also did outside workouts as well.

While I wanted Mexican food tonight but my wife wants Asian. All that work for nothing!

AZ summers are no joke. Many years ago, when I was younger and dumber, I took a 2-day AK class up at Ben Avery in July. It was 117 both days. We had several students and an AI go down as heat casualties. It was utterly stupid, but like I said, I was younger and much dumber and powered on. I drank a gallon of Gatorade and 2 gallons of water each day and didn't have to pee during the day. That should have been A Clue. Now I try not to do physical stuff when it gets much above 105 or so, and I take much better precautions in the way of electrolytes, personal shade/clothing choices, and paying attention to when I'm getting burned down before it becomes a problem. And hey, there's a reason we schedule our AZ classes in November-February

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List