Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Ford Explorer?

Site Supporter

2022 Ford Explorer?

As a result of the sudden RMS leak detailed here, SWMBO and I have decided we need a new family vehicle.
    Requirements are: Not a car, not a huge truck (aka F150 crew cab, we like them, but it's a tad bigger than we want), must seat a minimum of 5 (6-7 better), just be 4WD or AWD, must have an automatic transmission (tired of driving sticks and still have two manuals in the stable), have decent power (HP itself not important, but it should be capable of 0-60 in less than 8 seconds), and be under 41k new (not looking at used due to the crazy prices at the moment).

We web-shopped at Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, VW, Mazda, GMC, Hyundai, Kia, and others that I'm probably forgetting, and decided a Ford Explorer fits the bill. We can accept the base model, but prefer the XLT trim. Our current vehicles are older (9yo to 25yo), so virtually everything will feel like a starship compared to our current rides. We'll probably keep this upwards of 15 years. If we get the 0% interest rate currently offered, we'll pay half down and finance the rest for 5 years using Ford's free money.

My most recent experience with Fords has been my 2013 Focus SE hatch (not a bad driver, but has had some reliability issues I haven't seen in other makes with fewer than 100k miles). My buddy has an F150 (his second in a decade). He likes them and I've spent a lot of time riding around in his around town, on the highway, and offroad. It's a nice vehicle and he doesn't seem to have the reliability issues with his F150s I had with the focus (nor should he at nearly twice the price), making me think a more up-market Ford will be better than my econobox.

Weird Question: Do they come with standard cruise control if you don't buy the "Adaptive Intelligent Cruise Control"? I don't need the latter, but I would like plain ol' vanilla cruise control (told you our needs and expectations were low). To get the AICC will cost us another few grand as we'll be forced into the more expensive option package that also includes junk we don't want.

Does anyone here have a 2021 or 2022 model? I think they're virtually the same. Any warts?

Chris

I cant help you but I am interested to hear the answers. I really like my 2017 Ford Explorer Sport but the new ones are a completely different animal being rear wheel drive and a different motor. I will probably upgrade to a new "used" 2022 ST in a couple of years. Depending.

Oh yeah. I really have learned to like the adaptive cruise even though I didn't think I would. I could see why you wouldn't want to spring for a higher package though. The Sport was just below Platinum and I think even way back in 2017 it was around $60,000. I bought it used a couple years ago.

Our 2022 Ford explorer police interceptors Are big pieces of shit. I used to like the explorer but the new ones suck. At least the police version. I don’t know if you could find a Honda pilot in that price range, but I love my pilot. I imagine you’ll get a longer life out of the pilot that you would an explorer.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I’m not impressed by car manufacturers at this point.buying a 2022 you should be prepared to trade it in in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Our 2022 Ford explorer police interceptors Are big pieces of shit. I used to like the explorer but the new ones suck. At least the police version. I don’t know if you could find a Honda pilot in that price range, but I love my pilot. I imagine you’ll get a longer life out of the pilot that you would an explorer.
    That's a shame. I loved my 2013 Explorer, put 40,000 miles on it in a year and a half. That thing had incredible handling and ride quality for an SUV that isn't a Porsche. Driving an Impala was downright scary in comparison of how well each machine handled.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If you want something that lasts 15 years don't buy anything that needs "updates" like your cell phone!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's a shame. I loved my 2013 Explorer, put 40,000 miles on it in a year and a half. That thing had incredible handling and ride quality for an SUV that isn't a Porsche. Driving an Impala was downright scary in comparison of how well each machine handled.
    It is a shame. I really liked the Explorer. But these new ones are universally hated by all our guys. They’ve done something with the transmission that makes the acceleration all wonky.

God I miss the Crown Vic PI.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Site Supporter
    That isn't encouraging. Can you share some details on what's not going well?

As for the Pilot, neither me nor my wife are fans. A friend of ours has one and it just doesn't jive for us. Also, it's the same engine and platform as our van and we've not been impressed with the durability. The RMS leak is the latest issue, but we've had a number of other issues with components that would be common to the Pilot as well, including a transmission replacement at 95k miles (thank God for extended warranties).

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I’m not impressed by car manufacturers at this point.buying a 2022 you should be prepared to trade it in in a few years.
    Which is at odds with how I buy cars. I tend to buy them, pay them off early, and keep them for many years after.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    If you want something that lasts 15 years don't buy anything that needs "updates" like your cell phone!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    No such thing anymore and it's going to get worse. I've been tempted to get a more "primitive" classic SUV and put the funding difference into bringing it up to "new" spec, but if I had time and energy for that, I could do the same with our ailing van. I really just want something I don't have to fiddle with. I already have a "hobby car" in my '97 4Runner.

It is a shame. I really liked the Explorer. But these new ones are universally hated by all our guys. They’ve done something with the transmission that makes the acceleration all wonky.
    That sounds like a "feature" of the new 10spd transmission. Apparently it's not "smooth".

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Which is at odds with how I buy cars. I tend to buy them, pay them off early, and keep them for many years after.

No such thing anymore and it's going to get worse. I've been tempted to get a more "primitive" classic SUV and put the funding difference into bringing it up to "new" spec, but if I had time and energy for that, I could do the same with our ailing van. I really just want something I don't have to fiddle with. I already have a "hobby car" in my '97 4Runner.

That sounds like a "feature" of the new 10spd transmission. Apparently it's not "smooth".

Chris
    Whoever came up with that transmission should be fired. It’s dangerous when you’re used to something else. The acceleration is awful.

The quality on them overall has been substandard. We’re having to take cars w less than 10k miles in for warranty work on all sorts of things.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List