Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watching Ozark, Wondering: "What's It Like To Live On A Big Lake?"

Watching Ozark, Wondering: "What's It Like To Live On A Big Lake?"

I don't have much experience in rural America. Always lived in big cities. I'm watching Ozark (no spoilers, please!) and it reminded me of a day I spent with a friend on his boat in Lake Murray of Columbia, SC a while back.

He gave me a tour and people just live on houses where their backyard is the lake, and they have mini docks, and they have smallish boats, and they can boat around the lake and boat to restaurants and various things that seemed interesting. I occasionally watch Mr Guns and Gear on YouTube and he has a lake in his backyard and upon looking into him, I believe he lives on Lake Murray in SC.

So now I'm watching Ozark, and I've been thinking of moving to a rural place for a while to get out of the city. So while not technically a 'gun' question, the folks here think about the world similarly to me and have a good grasp of concepts like home security and prepardness. So I figure I'll ask here.

What's it like to live with your backyard on a big lake or river? I mean some massive body of water, not a small one. I want to hear it all but here's some specific things I wonder about:

1) Do you keep your boat docked in your backyard all year round? Or does it need to come out for the winter? Probably dependent on the state you live? If it comes out for winter, is it a big hassle, or can you relatively easily roll it out of the water and store it in your own garage?

2) Is there a security concern of the ability of people to pull their boat into your backyard and have access to your backyard? Do you recommend a fence between the dock and the back of your house? Seems like it would destroy the aesthetic.

3) Is there a security concern of people being able to come by and vandalize or steal your boat in your dock?

4) Concerns of flooding of your home?

5) Do you view this as a prepardness benefit that you could potentially hop on your boat and escape your home by water should the need arise? Not really sure what a realistic scenario would be that escaping by boat would be indicated, maybe wildfire? Or some hazmat situation?

6) Is there a prepardness benefit for fishing from the water? Or is it too difficult to fish because of all of the boats?

7) Does it just become a noise nuisance where tourists have parties on their boat in what's effectively your backyard?

8) What cities / bodies of water would you consider this as a place you'd like to live for a primary residence?

9) What kind of reasonably priced boat would you recommend to a non-boat person living like this? And what would to buy, and what is expected annual maintenance / insurance / costs? I don't know anything about boats, I'm not rich, but there'd be no point in buying a house against a lake/river if I didn't also buy a small boat.

10) What unexpected things about living against a lake/river that I didn't ask and might not be considering should be considered?

Here is my recommendation for you, personally...

You would never be happy in a rural or semi-rural area. Things are taken at a pace and style that is not amenable to the way you think and carry through things. I don't say that to be mean, but merely as an observation. You're worried about all the wrong things.

Here are how my rural, lake dwelling, relatives go about answering your questions:

1) Boat goes in the water until it don't need to be in the water.

2) You put a sign up says, "Private Property". If anyone comes up in your yard you go out and have a conversation with them.

3) Don't start none, there won't be none.

4) Flood Insurance isn't offered for many lake front properties for a reason - Don't buy nothin' you can't afford to replace

5) If you ain't knowing what to do in an emergency, maybe this isn't the place for you.

6) Fishing is an integral part of life.

7) Join the party, pal

8) You buy where you like your neighbors and the area - You don't buy on a public lake for privacy.

9) There are many kinds of boats and how you use the water will tell you what you need

10) Yea, that it doesn't matter what you do, drought is a reality in North America. Buying a house on a lake, could mean your dock and boat are no longer in the water in pretty short order.

There are many, many, other things to consider about rural living. Response times for emergency services, proximity to healthcare, proximity to food, limited food choices, proximity to other services in general. You will have significantly increased property and home maintenance, because you're likely to have more land and purchase an old(er) and larger home. If you're not comfortable with DIY, flexible in figuring things out on the fly, changing your plan as necessary - you're really going to struggle in this environment.

To be honest with you, rural living isn't for anyone who has lived in the city their whole life. It's a different pace, place, and culture.

I've watched about 3 episodes of season 1.
    When I see a character outside at night, asleep outside at night, I envision them being devoured by mosquitos; but so far no mosquitos.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post

10) What unexpected things about living against a lake/river that I didn't ask and might not be considering should be considered?
    When the authorities come for your guns it gives credence to your boating accident claim.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I envision them being devoured by mosquitos; but so far no mosquitos.
    Yea. It also misses out on the ticks and flies that bite, fire ants every time you walk through the yard. Copperheads that house themselves in your firewood, cottonmouths that like the long grass by your dock. Raccoons, possums, and feral cats that get into your trash cans. Squirrels and woodpeckers that destroy your house. Termites, bees, hornets, wasps, poison oak and poison ivy, rotten trees that fall on your dock/house/garage, waterbugs and cockroaches that love your house, etc.

Site Supporter
    Not to mention the lions and tigers and bears oh my!

I don't have much experience in rural America. Always lived in big cities. I'm watching Ozark (no spoilers, please!) and it reminded me of a day I spent with a friend on his boat in Lake Murray of Columbia, SC a while back.

He gave me a tour and people just live on houses where their backyard is the lake, and they have mini docks, and they have smallish boats, and they can boat around the lake and boat to restaurants and various things that seemed interesting. I occasionally watch Mr Guns and Gear on YouTube and he has a lake in his backyard and upon looking into him, I believe he lives on Lake Murray in SC.

So now I'm watching Ozark, and I've been thinking of moving to a rural place for a while to get out of the city. So while not technically a 'gun' question, the folks here think about the world similarly to me and have a good grasp of concepts like home security and prepardness. So I figure I'll ask here.

What's it like to live with your backyard on a big lake or river? I mean some massive body of water, not a small one. I want to hear it all but here's some specific things I wonder about:

1) Do you keep your boat docked in your backyard all year round? Or does it need to come out for the winter? Probably dependent on the state you live? If it comes out for winter, is it a big hassle, or can you relatively easily roll it out of the water and store it in your own garage?

2) Is there a security concern of the ability of people to pull their boat into your backyard and have access to your backyard? Do you recommend a fence between the dock and the back of your house? Seems like it would destroy the aesthetic.

3) Is there a security concern of people being able to come by and vandalize or steal your boat in your dock?

4) Concerns of flooding of your home?

5) Do you view this as a prepardness benefit that you could potentially hop on your boat and escape your home by water should the need arise? Not really sure what a realistic scenario would be that escaping by boat would be indicated, maybe wildfire? Or some hazmat situation?

6) Is there a prepardness benefit for fishing from the water? Or is it too difficult to fish because of all of the boats?

7) Does it just become a noise nuisance where tourists have parties on their boat in what's effectively your backyard?

8) What cities / bodies of water would you consider this as a place you'd like to live for a primary residence?

9) What kind of reasonably priced boat would you recommend to a non-boat person living like this? And what would to buy, and what is expected annual maintenance / insurance / costs? I don't know anything about boats, I'm not rich, but there'd be no point in buying a house against a lake/river if I didn't also buy a small boat.

We have a few friends that live that life. It sure looks awesome. They seem to think so.

North Georgia, Lake Lanier. All you need is plenty of money. The rest is easy.
    Last edited by JHC; 06-13-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm watching Ozark (no spoilers, please!) and it reminded me of a day I spent with a friend on his boat in Lake Murray of Columbia, SC a while back.
    I question your decision making if your lake house experiences remind you of murder, broken families, drug trafficking, cartel operations....and your first thought is to look at moving to a lake house to pursue that lifestyle.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    North Georgia, Lake Lanier. All you need is plenty of money. The rest is easy.
    That is the part that is the deal killer for me, you peek at Zillow and it wakes you up from the daydream.

My grandparents used to own this house, ever since I was a little kid. Private beach across the street, bay with a dock in the back yard. It was a cottage and they lived in an apartment down here through the week and in the winter. When they retired they moved to the lake, stayed year round a few years and then snowbirded to a rental in the winter. My grandmother sold it too cheap but it was still out of my reach, and for damn sure is now that it has been extensively renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I've watched about 3 episodes of season 1.
    When I see a character outside at night, asleep outside at night, I envision them being devoured by mosquitos; but so far no mosquitos.
    It's crazy but having grown up in WI but having lived in WA, TX and GA since '93 - I don't run into much mosquitos here in GA nor hanging out with friends on Lanier where Ozark is shot. WI - mosquitos the absolute worst of anywhere I've lived. My childhood home's backyard was uninhabitable after dusk without a full body dunk in Deet. And no body of water nearby. Go figure.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List