Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to center rear glock sights?

I wouldn't waste a lot of time on this. Visually center to get in the ballpark. Benchrest it and adjust from there. Loctite when you're done if you have tension screws.

I've had multiple Gen2's where, with visually-centered sights, groupings were off substantially to one side. This was benchrested and confirmed with multiple shooters. One of my Gen2 G17's has the rear sight 70-80% to one side to be dead on. That one is ridiculously worn and has had a hard life. Haven't seen that issue much with Gen3's or newer. For whatever reason, some older ones are real weird like that. Probably something to do with barrel, bore, lug wear, etc.

Point being, you won't know until you shoot it, so don't stress over fractions of a millimeter because it'll probably just change once you shoot for groups.

Being an engineer, naturally I overthink this. I use a sight pusher to get it close, then shoot with carry ammo. Any Windage correction I need I calculate using a spreadsheet to compute % of turn of the 16tpi threaded rod on my pusher, based on how much error I’m seeing at the target.

I also use a hammer and punch. One thing to note is for tight dovetails it can be easier to use light taps with a bigger hammer rather than trying to hit it harder with a small hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I've had multiple Gen2's where, with visually-centered sights, groupings were off substantially to one side. This was benchrested and confirmed with multiple shooters.
    There’s issues like this and then there’s also fit to individuals. I shoot all Walther pistols way, way left if the sight is centered in the slide. All of them. P99s, PPQs of all varieties, PPS M1, PPS M2, all of them, consistently. My friends and family don’t have this problem, and I don’t have this problem with any other guns. When I had four that I carried and trained with, they all had rear sights drifted far to the right.

To the OP, if you don’t shoot well enough to feel comfortable sighting in your pistol, you need to work on that first, and perfect centering of the sight down to the micrometer doesn’t matter. Eyeball the sights to be centered and go shoot and dry fire until you can maintain a consistent group at 10 or 15 yards. Then adjust sights if necessary to move that group on target.

I’m not saying that to be condescending. I’ve been there and I’m sure everyone else here has too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Being an engineer, naturally I overthink this. I use a sight pusher to get it close, then shoot with carry ammo. Any Windage correction I need I calculate using a spreadsheet to compute % of turn of the 16tpi threaded rod on my pusher, based on how much error I’m seeing at the target.
    Dude- I literally don't understand anything you posted here....😝🤪🤪

ETA, I use the depth gauge like @WobblyPossum to get me in the neighborhood, then take the sight pusher to the range and fiddle.

pat

Easiest tool I have ever used is the Wyoming sight drifter.
    If the point of impact is off, I just give the rear sight a whack or two proportionate to how far off it is. I leave an allen key in my range bag to loosen set screws if needed. I have masking tape in my bag to tape holes in targets but I also can put a couple layers down to prevent brass marks on the sight or slide. Beats having to lug around the MGW sight tool when zeroing new sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I wouldn't waste a lot of time on this. Visually center to get in the ballpark. Benchrest it and adjust from there. Loctite when you're done if you have tension screws.

I've had multiple Gen2's where, with visually-centered sights, groupings were off substantially to one side. This was benchrested and confirmed with multiple shooters. One of my Gen2 G17's has the rear sight 70-80% to one side to be dead on. That one is ridiculously worn and has had a hard life. Haven't seen that issue much with Gen3's or newer. For whatever reason, some older ones are real weird like that. Probably something to do with barrel, bore, lug wear, etc.

Point being, you won't know until you shoot it, so don't stress over fractions of a millimeter because it'll probably just change once you shoot for groups.
    I’d echo this.

Getting it exactly centered is not hugely meaningful if it’s not zero’d. I’d recommend getting a tool to install / shift the rear yourself.
    Last edited by BWT; 07-19-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List