Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to center rear glock sights?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I have calipers but I'm too stupid to figure out how to use them to center the sights. And it's probably so simple, not a single person has made a YouTube video on it.

there's a dozen ways to use calipers to measure things and I can't figure out how to apply any of them to glock rear sights.
    When doing the initial install before shooting and zeroing, I try to come close to centering the sights in the dovetail. To do with with calipers, I install the sight and measure the distance from the left edge of the sight to the left edge of the slide. Then I measure the distance from the right edge of the sight to the right edge of the slide. If the two numbers are the same, then the sight is centered on the slide. If one is larger than the other, you need to drift the sight towards the side with the larger number to close some of that distance. It doesn’t have to be perfect but getting it close to centered at least gives you a starting point for zeroing.

ETA: if you’re asking which part of the caliper makes this the easiest, I use the depth rod which is the part on the opposite end from the jaws. Open and close your caliper jaws and you’ll see a thinner point expand and retract on the opposite end.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    When doing the initial install before shooting and zeroing, I try to come close to centering the sights in the dovetail. To do with with calipers, I install the sight and measure the distance from the left edge of the sight to the left edge of the slide. Then I measure the distance from the right edge of the sight to the right edge of the slide. If the two numbers are the same, then the sight is centered on the slide. If one is larger than the other, you need to drift the sight towards the side with the larger number to close some of that distance. It doesn’t have to be perfect but getting it close to centered at least gives you a starting point for zeroing.

ETA: if you’re asking which part of the caliper makes this the easiest, I use the depth rod which is the part on the opposite end from the jaws. Open and close your caliper jaws and you’ll see a thinner point expand and retract on the opposite end.
    Using the method described above, and also making sure that the front sight is straight and centered has invariably enabled me to go to the range and confirm zero without making further adjustments.

Ditto @WobblyPossum and @BillSWPA. I make sure the front sight is mounted straight and securely, then go at the rear with a metal ruler and caliper probe.

If I am confident the sights are mechanically centered, I am very careful before doing any drifting. Shooting off a bag, alternating left/right one-hand, and changing lighting conditions need to produce the same result consistently.

I also make sure to try it with a few rounds of carry ammo. Most of my practice ammo is close enough but not necessarily identical.

More often then not, I find groups left or right are a byproduct of my hands and eyes rather than the sights.

I eyeball the rear sight and usa a straight edge to align the front sight with the rear notch. The front wants to twist when you tighten it up and that can cause you to shoot left and can also make the front sight look fuzzy.

The Lebowski method:

- eyeball it in as you whack it with a hammer and punch

- zero at range, with a hammer and punch. The end 😁
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Lebowski method:

I do something similar, although often with a pusher. Works remarkably well.

I have calipers but I'm too stupid to figure out how to use them to center the sights. And it's probably so simple, not a single person has made a YouTube video on it.

there's a dozen ways to use calipers to measure things and I can't figure out how to apply any of them to glock rear sights.
    Don't mean to be harsh but honestly, sell the guns and take up knitting.

You'll be able to buy a shit tonne of yarn.

🧶

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    This guy can talk forever, but at about the 38 minute make he demonstrates the caliper method that I use:

I gets me pretty close to final zero. Always confirm at the range.

I hope this helps,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Lebowski method:

This. I've seen slides cracked with pushers. Doesn't mean it'll always happen, but I've seen it happen first hand. I have several of the Dawson Aluminum punches (I also have steel, brass, and delrin punches I use for other things). A little 0000 steel wool and oil takes the aluminum residue right off.

On a Glock front sight, I put masking tape on my vise jaws, put the slide upside down in the vise and clamp onto the front sight blade. Then adjust left or right as needed until slide lines up with vise jaws.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter

Don't use the main calipers to measure. Use the depth measuring portion on the end to measure the distance from the edge if the dovetail to the sighton both sides. Adjust until that number is the same for both sides.

That's not what I do, but should help with what you want. I also eyeball it then shoot/adjust/confirm at the range.

User Tag List