Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDS for an AUG: SIG Romeo8T vs. Steiner DRS1X vs. Holosun AEMS vs.SIG Romeo4T

RDS for an AUG: SIG Romeo8T vs. Steiner DRS1X vs. Holosun AEMS vs.SIG Romeo4T

My parting shot while leaving no-tax NH is an AUG that will prospectively be my house gun. I’m currently looking at these four optics:

Romeo8T: heavy mother, built like a tank, circle dot reticle that I’m used to, integrated covers, 123 battery, US assembly, lifetime warranty, I have a very good price quote ($500)

DRS1X: heavy but lighter than the Romeo8T, reticle appears to be useful, AA batteries are potentially a big plus

Holosun AEMS: light, circle dot reticle, easy battery changes but 2032, durability concerns but good manufacturer support

Romeo4T: I’m very used to these and like the circle dot reticle, would need a mount (Reptilia is my go-to), side access 2032 battery, US assembly, lifetime warranty

I’ve been looking at the Romeo8T every time I go to the academy, but I’m not seeing much about them here or elsewhere. I know nothing about the Steiner. The AEMS has a lot to like, but I’m still not 100% sold based on ownership and manufacturing location. The Romeo4T is a safe choice.

Any comments or other suggestions?
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 06-12-2022 at 12:10 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Is the appeal to be able to have more than just a dot as a reticle for all the choices you've listed?

For a house gun, no way I'd consider the DRS1X; not only does it have the 13 hour auto off, but it also has dog shit battery life according to the spec sheet, despite it running on AAs.

I really like circle dot, optics that have more than just a dot are the ones I’ve been considering. I didn’t know that about the Steiner, off the list. I really want motion activated and didn’t notice the Steiner was missing that.

And then then there were three…
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 06-12-2022 at 12:19 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Trijicon MRO HD in theory checks boxes, but given the issues folks have had with the MRO (particularly the parallax issue), I'd personally not consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Trijicon MRO HD in theory checks boxes, but given the issues folks have had with the MRO (particularly the parallax issue), I'd personally not consider it.
    I thought the HD fixed the parallax issue ( just going by what I've read, no personal experience)

I’ve got a R8T on an AR in 9mm, and I’m totally satisfied with it, but I don’t have as many experiences as others in comparing dots.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

One of the guys at the academy that I trust (he’s been known to quietly tell me things about certain products) speaks very highly of the Romeo8T. I’m tempted to take the chance.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I thought the HD fixed the parallax issue ( just going by what I've read, no personal experience)
    No. IM (limited) experience the HD is, in fine ways worse than the original / upgraded MRO.

Friends don’t let friends MRO..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My parting shot while leaving no-tax NH is an AUG that will prospectively be my house gun. I’m currently looking at these four optics:

Romeo8T: heavy mother, built like a tank, circle dot reticle that I’m used to, integrated covers, 123 battery, US assembly, lifetime warranty, I have a very good price quote ($500)

DRS1X: heavy but lighter than the Romeo8T, reticle appears to be useful, AA batteries are potentially a big plus

Holosun AEMS: light, circle dot reticle, easy battery changes but 2032, durability concerns but good manufacturer support

Romeo4T: I’m very used to these and like the circle dot reticle, would need a mount (Reptilia is my go-to), side access 2032 battery, US assembly, lifetime warranty

I’ve been looking at the Romeo8T every time I go to the academy, but I’m not seeing much about them here or elsewhere. I know nothing about the Steiner. The AEMS has a lot to like, but I’m still not 100% sold based on ownership and manufacturing location. The Romeo4T is a safe choice.

Any comments or other suggestions?
    The Romeo 8 is a great optic but it’s wide like the EoTech. Given the proximity of the charging handle / charging handle track to the optics rail wide optics on the AUG are a no go as the interfere with operation of the charging handle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Romeo 8 is a great optic but it’s wide like the EoTech. Given the proximity of the charging handle / charging handle track to the optics rail wide optics on the AUG are a no go as the interfere with operation of the charging handle.
    I was planning on mounting the optic rearward of the charging handle range - I saw several member’s rifles set up that way in the big AUG thread starting with DB’s Comp M4 in the early pages. That was one of the reasons I rep went with the long rail version. I’m a little concerned about eye relief, so I will wait until it’s here and try a few of my current optics for fit first. Does that affect your suggestion?

Name:  58615495-0340-4DF5-97BB-147667160FC0.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  20.0 KB
    Ken

User Tag List