Thread: QD Option for Handheld 2-Cell Light to Carbine Mounted? For Quick Switching?

QD Option for Handheld 2-Cell Light to Carbine Mounted? For Quick Switching?

I dont want to go into specifics of my unique application but I have one carbine where I dont want a light on it 24/7. I want to be able to take a 2-cell handheld surefire sized light and put it on the gun and take it off in a QD fashion and be able to use the light as a handheld when not needed.

I've seen various devices to clamp a handheld light to a rail, but they are not QD fashion.

I dont need it to be "super QD", just something that is tool-less an doesn't require a hex key.

Also, ideally something that doesn't make the handheld light much bigger. Since it will be used in handheld mode 90% of the time.

There's a really specific niche reason for this, so please dont try to suggest I have a dedicated light for each, haha, sorry, for this particular purpose, it won't work.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/mounts/sm-ei-scout-mount/

You don't specify a diameter, it would help if you did.

I have one of those Vltor mounts on my shotgun. It is worth noting that if the handheld light has wider spots before and after the desired mounting point, it may be a right bastard to get the light into or out of the mount. If however the body of the light is the same diameter the whole way, the Vltor mount could work rather well for the stated purpose.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Sounds as if you already have the light, and just need a mount solution.

However, the Olight Odin is tool less and detaches quickly but is a rechargeable. That's the best, worse option I can think of.
    Taking a break from social media.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    Maybe it’s just me because I spent too much time in the sun at the pool but I find it moderately ass chapping that you come on to a public forum looking for equipment help but don’t put in all of your known parameters.

How about you just duct tape a light to the gun the 10% of the time it’s gonna be there any otherwise just put it in your pocket. You do have a sharp pocket knife to cut the duct tape?

If a mere hex key mount will suffice haha
    Here you go. Hex key included btw. This recommendation presumes a 1 inch ish diameter light. Oh wait you FAILED to tell us which light you were trying to attach…

https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Tech-Vi...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Maybe it’s just me because I spent too much time in the sun at the pool but I find it moderately ass chapping that you come on to a public forum looking for equipment help but don’t put in all of your known parameters.

How about you just duct tape a light to the gun the 10% of the time it’s gonna be there any otherwise just put it in your pocket. You do have a sharp pocket knife to cut the duct tape?

If a mere hex key mount will suffice haha
    Here you go. Hex key included btw. This recommendation presumes a 1 inch ish diameter light. Oh wait you FAILED to tell us which light you were trying to attach…

https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Tech-Vi...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    This.

Given that you want to do something that is hugely impractical, just buy the o-light. Its a shit product but well, it should fit your needs.

LaRue makes several QD options for SureFire, whether Scout-pattern or using rings. While they meet your requirement to be quick-detach, they're probably going to make the light bigger than you want when using in handheld fashion.

The last place I worked, we used pool rifles and could not modify them. In that situation, I put a Streamlight HL-X on a Kerm-Lock, which I mounted at the start of each shift and removed at the end of the shift. It was a very workable solution, and the only QD option I'm aware of that works with standard M4 plastic handguards. I carried a separate handheld light.

Even if you're facing a similar limitation, I would not try to use a handheld for both purposes. Set up one quality light on a robust QD mount for the gun, and have a separate handheld for handheld use. This makes more sense to me than trying to use your weaponlight as a handheld and then what, slapping it on the gun when you need a WML?

Maybe a better explanation of your use case might help us provide recommendations. Are you in a situation where you're not allowed to have two flashlights?

User Tag List