Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: clearing FTF

clearing FTF

I cut my teeth on striker fired M&P's to join the pistol shooting world. I learned and have practiced that if I pull the trigger and no bang I slap the bottom of the mag, rack the slide and roll the pistol to clear the unfired round and get back in the action. There is always a dent in the primer so either the primer was not seated or a light firing pin strike. if I reload this round they will sometimes go bang the second time around.
    Now I am shooting CZ DA/SA decockers, which brings me to my question. If I pull the trigger and no bang do I do the Slap rack and roll or do I pull the trigger again to see if it will go bang, if not then do the slap rack and roll.
    Which way do you handle DA/SA Fail to Fire? If it goes bang the second time that has to be faster, if it don't go bang the second time and then I do the slap rack and roll that takes more time.\
    Thanks looking forward to the wisdom of this site and the people who are here!

My experience has always been to just pull the trigger a couple more times. Sometimes if the primer isn't seated the cup can get dented enough that it never will discharge, and then it has to come out.

I would immediately perform a tap-rack. If you’re in a shooting you want the surest way to get the next round off and that’s to get rid of the bad round. Sure, the next trigger pull could set the first round off, but it could also not set the round off and you’re left standing there pressing the trigger and hoping you’re about to get a bang instead of a click. Just get it out of there and move on to the next round.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Yes-SOP is to tap, rack and assess/fire. This is to practice a malfunction clearance”(or whatever the current term is) for an emergency situation. One can then retrieve the round and try it again, if desired.

I have had exactly 2 FTF with centerfire duty ammo, both from the same box. That's across 40+ years of some pretty indifferently treated ammo.
    They are very rare even with the crap practice stuff I feed my Glock. OTOH, there are several recurring failure modes that can and do occur in vigorous training and on the street.
    With that in mind I would forgo the second snap and immediately initiate a clearance procedure.
    Remember, there's a finite amount of recognition time added to the split time in realizing the gun didn't fire, because involuntarily you'll want to look at the gun. Adding another decisional branch to an already hurried event can cause errors to cascade further.

Tap/Rack and reassess (T/R/R).

Your problem may be unsolvable by a second hammer fall because there may not be a round in the chamber (e.g., never inserted a magazine; failure-to-feed because magazine fell out or was not fully seated; magazine empty and slide did not lock to the rear; etc.).

For all the above and more, I recommend you carry a spare magazine.

Happy training.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Site Supporter
    Clearance drills are supposed to be non diagnostic, but in reality there is some diagnosis going on.

That being said Tap-Rack-Assess-Press will clear Failure to Fire (whatever the cause) as well as Failure to Eject. Second click? Unload-Reload (latest, shortest to remember hotness) or Lock-Rip-Work-Work-Work-Reload-Assess-Press will clear Failure to Extract. Anything else, like a Type Ate malfunction will require lots of time and maybe tools to reduce. Improper cleaning can kill primers completely.

Second strike capability is only a viable solution on a square range. The fact that you notice your gun didn't go off has already interrupted your OODA loop, and the decision tree has to start. If the second strike fails you are stuck with what you should have done in the first place. You are going to fall farther and farther behind.

pat

Is this for a tuned CZ with a light trigger? If not, FTF should be exceedingly rare and you should perform a T-R-B without hesitation.

If you consistently get light strikes with something other than a competition gun/range toy, you need to figure out what’s going on.

these are the answers I was expecting, The CZ are not tuned and I believe the fail to fires are on me and not getting the primer set fully with my reloads, never had a FTF with factory.
    Thanks for reconfirming.

Tap-Rack-Recover solves more than one type of stoppage:
    • Failure to feed
    • Failure to fire
    • Failure to eject

There are three immediate actions to clear stoppages that are performed in sequence:
    1. Tap-rack-recover;
    2. If tap-rack-recover fails to get the gun running, then perform: combat reload;
    3. If the magazine doesn’t jettison when the magazine release is pressed, then perform: lock – rip – rack, rack, rack – combat reload.

Performing non-diagnostic immediate actions is quicker. They shortcut your OODA Loop to “Observe – Act”.

Whereas a diagnostic approach requires you to progress through your OODA Loop in serial manner while you’re experiencing extreme stress:
    • Observe (gun did not fire when you pressed the trigger)
    • Orient (examine the gun to determine what the stoppage is)
    • Decide (figure out which specific corrective action to perform to clear the stoppage)
    • Act (perform the corrective action)

If your gun doesn’t fire when you press the trigger, then the best response is to immediately perform tap-rack-recover. Pressing the trigger again may or may not work, depending on the cause of the stoppage (high primer, dud primer, failure to feed, failure to eject). Therefore, pressing the trigger again wastes time and adds another decision to your OODA Loop, which requires mental effort and slows you down.

User Tag List