Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Color Filling Slide Engravings

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Hey, you want to fill it in, knock yourself out. I've rattlecanned half my AR's just because.

Shot timer doesn't care though. I do remember the good shooters in the classes I've taken. I don't remember what color their guns were.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Color-fill is not really a thing here as this more if a shooters forum than a gun fondler forum. Same with waxing and polishing guns with diapers to enhance the blue etc

We did this on Remington 870s at work because the serial numbers were hard to read during annual inventory. Used paint pens and paper shop towels with a little paint thinner or nail Polish removal.
    We used White Out and a rag for the same thing, for the same reason. I might fill in the s/n on my 6920 to make it easier for the range master's aged eyes to read through the little slot on the Redi-Mag. I will not part with my Redi-Mag on a Patrol or plain clothes response type rifle. Weight be damned.

pat

Well I guess I'm all over the place on this. I've never thought of colorizing the slide on a pistol, but I have toyed with the idea of doing it on AR receivers. I'm kind of different from a lot of folks in that I figure manufacturers buy their forgings from one or two places (you can find the forge markings on the receivers) and that as long as the receiver is 7075-T6 and the pin holes are in the correct spaces it really doesn't matter whose receiver it is. So I kind of collect different manufacturers roll marks.

Right now I'm setting on more than a couple receivers simply because they have good looking - to me - roll marks. I'd almost kill for an Umbrella Corp. Since I've already got more AR's than I shoot on a regular basis, I was thinking about getting a nice piece of oak veneer plywood and making a wall display. If I did that I would certainly want the roll marks colored.

Plus, I recently purchased a 'Go-Karen-15' receiver from PSA to hang shit on my wife who faintly resembles the profile picture on the roll mark. I was going to swap out the FCG from her .22LR PCC into the Karen one and not tell her. I tried doing the roll mark on that with some of her fingernail polish and made a mess.

So seriously, any tips on how to do it nice would be appreciated.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Kind of wanted to add that I'm surprised someone hasn't engraved 'Lunger' on a 9mm slide. Definitely want to highlight that.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I've Camo painted guns that have never gone further than the shooting range. Whatever. To each his own.

What I have found out, by mistake, is spray paint. I've Krylon'd a bunch of rifles over the years, and a pistol or two, too. When I've got to the point of removing the paint, the engravings are always filled perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I got a G17 in trade with a color filled slide. Don't do it, let it be natural. It is the purple hair of what you can do to a firearm.
    There are a lot of quotable posts in this thread, but this one takes the cake.

Site Supporter
    RJ, thank you for kicking in some considerations to make before bugging up a gun. They're all valid things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Guys, this may be a worn out topic, but I'm looking for some ideas as to what products work well for filling the engravings on pistol slides. I know some people use Testors model paint and other use nail polish. Are there better products or special techniques to apply Testors or nail polish. I saw several guns filled guns on YouTube that looked great. I want to personalize my guns too.

Thanks in advance, Danko--
    I am going to disagree with some people as in my mind, a situation I know of, a couple has the same type of firearm but two different calibers (one was personal bought, the other issued), color filling the slide can make them more readily identifiable in an emergency.

Surprised though you didn't find it on Youtube. Paint pens have been mentioned, but another thing I know that is used for filling engravings, are lumber crayons. Mechanics used to do this to make sockets easier to read (especially to quickly tell metric from sae).

Site Supporter
    Thank you for chiming in. Most responders provided opinions unrelated to my questions.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for responding. The idea of coloring engravings to allow for quick identification is a very practical idea, especially for those who own several similar ones.

YouTube has plenty of videos on what to use to color slides. Some of the work and results look great. I thought I'd ask about coloring on this forum, thinking people here would be more knowledgeable than those on YouTube.

User Tag List