Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Color Filling Slide Engravings

delete post.

The only genuinely PF approved slide engraving fillers are blood, sweat and tears! (All kidding aside, I get it, if you have the need to see the markings more quick and easily or if it's something that just floats your boat.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Like others here I don’t do anything to my guns that isn’t at least somewhat functional, though anyone who has bought gear from me may be able to attest that I like my orange paint markers and might be prone to finding reasons to use them. Example, I have a lone AR with a big “1” painted on the receiver from when there used to be a “2” in the safe with it.

As far as the request for input, for particularly fine fill areas (like the super thin digital number lines on the base pads of Ed Brown 8rd. magazines), I like getting the paint on a splintered toothpick and using that. Works very well.

Get yourself an orange or yellow paint marker and it’ll have functional and aesthetic uses.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your input. Using a splintered toothpick sounds a good idea to keep the mess to a minimum. Having fingernail polish or some sort of coloring device comes in handy to identify various things. These days everything comes in matte black, and with so much black, it's hard to identify things quickly.

I heard that if you use a Dremel to deepen the roll marks it’ll hold color better.

I wasnt interested in the general markings, but I filled the sight markings on the A2 rear sight so i could see them better. The target shooters do it. I was having trouble seeing the range numbers and other marks so filled them with white, they pop nicely in lower light levels now. Most of my AR shooting is 300-600+ yards, I like being able to set my sights to the range Im shooting.

Sort of like this, but I also filled all the markings on the range wheel and windage knob.

Name:  A2 rear sight markings.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  39.2 KB

I cleaned with acetone, blobbed it all over with the nail polish brush, and after a minute or so, before its really set up, clean up with a qtip with acetone. I screwed it up a few times before getting the hang of it but its easy to redo with the acetone.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List