Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Filling Slide Engravings

Site Supporter

Color Filling Slide Engravings

Guys, this may be a worn out topic, but I'm looking for some ideas as to what products work well for filling the engravings on pistol slides. I know some people use Testors model paint and other use nail polish. Are there better products or special techniques to apply Testors or nail polish. I saw several guns filled guns on YouTube that looked great. I want to personalize my guns too.

Thanks in advance, Danko--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Guys, this may be a worn out topic, but I'm looking for some ideas as to what products work well for filling the engravings on pistol slides. I know some people use Testors model paint and other use nail polish. Are there better products or special techniques to apply Testors or nail polish. I saw several guns filled guns on YouTube that looked great. I want to personalize my guns too.

Thanks in advance, Danko--
    Color-fill is not really a thing here as this more if a shooters forum than a gun fondler forum. Same with waxing and polishing guns with diapers to enhance the blue etc

We did this on Remington 870s at work because the serial numbers were hard to read during annual inventory. Used paint pens and paper shop towels with a little paint thinner or nail Polish removal.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Color-fill is not really a thing here as this more if a shooters forum than a gun fondler forum.
    This.

Just don't. If you want to personalize your gun go dry fire and shoot it a bunch until it has a bunch of scratches and holster wear. Then you'll have the cool distressed look and some skills to go along with it.

P-F personalizes B-8s and powertools. I can’t even stand cleaning pistols; can’t imagine giving one the mani/pedi session.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Then you'll have the cool distressed look and some skills to go along with it.
    So when I rage-drop my shot timer that counts as “battleworn”? I should charge $250 a unit.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    So when I rage-drop my shot timer that counts as “battleworn”? I should charge $250 a unit.
    Maybe I should color fill the screen on my shot timer so I don't have to see how bad I suck?

Site Supporter
    I mean we do personalize our guns but it’s usually functional personalization: changing sights, grip tape, stippling, removing finger grooves from older Glocks etc.

Site Supporter
    I got a G17 in trade with a color filled slide. Don't do it, let it be natural. It is the purple hair of what you can do to a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Maybe I should color fill the screen on my shot timer so I don't have to see how bad I suck?
    Heck, mine does that already.

Name:  usuck.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  47.6 KB

On topic: I don't have any specific product advice, because this just isn't something that interests me, but: I would pick a product/material which can be easily removed with no traces whatsoever. Reason being If you ever have any thoughts about trading it in, having a "user enhanced" feature will devalue the trade worth (I know it will for me) for a lot of folks. Make sure it can be removed if at all possible.

Secondly, if you take a reasonably high round count class or training session (500-600 rounds in a day, or more) it's very likely the slide will get pretty hot, enough so that some trainers will have you lock the slide back and holster periodically to allow the gun to cool somewhat. This being the case, I'd look for a material which is heat resistant, so that it does not simply run or drip off. While the likelihood of any material from a filled roll-mark affecting the slide is probably pretty small, you have to weigh that risk yourself. There's enough burnt carbon and gunshot residue on my pistols after a class, I really don't need any more product floating around I have to clean up, but obviously that's up to you.

On the other hand, if these factors don't apply and your approach to owing a handgun is as art work, that's fine too. I've seen some beautiful hand-engraved pistols in museums and so forth, they are beautiful.

Crayolas.

NOT Rosa Art, that shit sucks.

User Tag List