Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technical question on S&W 3rd Gens...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    @MattyD380 That’s me! I actually carried my 5926 in a DeSantis pocket holster today. The range is only 10 minutes from my home, so I’ll get more shooting time in tomorrow. It ate Sig 124 gr Elite HP’s yesterday, so I’m confident in its ability. Even if it didn’t fire, it would make a fine bludgeoning weapon.

Please watch Hipster Tactical on YouTube. He’s very well spoken guy, and features some great pistols! 👍👍👍👍

Thanks, man! I appreciate it. I’ll plug @FrankB for his channel, too—here is the lovely 5926 in question:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8KNivAeoI&t=92s

He’s got some cool revolvers, too.

But yeah, my 6904 and 5906 have totally reliable, eat-anything kinda guns. Same with my 645 and the 3913 I had briefly. I did have some FTFeed issues with my 1076 and some of the more compact 45XXs. So, I’m thinking I’ll stick with 5 inch for the big bore Smiths. But 59XXs, I think, have a reputation for being dependable and durable.

While we’re on the topic, I bought a 5926 two days ago. It looks and shoots like new, but I always wonder about spare parts. The grip is in great shape, but I’m worried that I’ll never find a spare if it breaks from impact or age. Any thoughts?

Attachment 90030
    anygunpart.com has been has been a great source for me in picking up used parts packages. It was recommended to me by a fellow PF-er about a year ago. Specific 5926 parts might be tough to find as not as many were produced.

based on my name, I was into Smiths in the 90s into the 2000s.

I learned about the trigger play spring by breaking it with a red rag. Cleaning the magwell by drawing the rag from the top of the frame and pulling it through, it snagged and snapped.

I learned that if you never take your finger off the trigger while shooting, the spring never comes into play.

I believe it was Fastbolt who told me how to change mine and IIRC, the rivet is soft alum and does not take alot of effort to swage. the use of a makeshift anvil that fits in a vise and on the rivet. I think, I used a punch. I bet that info is archived in the swforum.

your good to go without one but it can be annoying w/o one.

good luck
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

While we’re on the topic, I bought a 5926 two days ago. It looks and shoots like new, but I always wonder about spare parts. The grip is in great shape, but I’m worried that I’ll never find a spare if it breaks from impact or age. Any thoughts?
    I was big into SW 3rd gen for duty carry. I was hard on my stuff and was a regular at SW ordering parts. When SW dropped 3rd gen from its line up to include parts, I got scared that I would not be able to fix my guns down the road but timing was everything. It was about that time Admin changed where I work... I was asked if I wanted to carry 1911 on duty in 2008. Pretty much been there since.

I sold all my 3rd Gen guns and parts.

My opinion: dont go hammering nails and chunking it like a boomerang and you should be ok. 5900 (3rd Gen) series are tanks plus your stuff looks pre MIM. You should be fine.

always be hunting for grips, the decocker grip will be a difficult to find. Maybe buy rubber hogues for shooting and some used wood for carry to protect your valuable grip. might have to mod aftermarket grips for frame decocker.

one more thing,

make sure to oil the detent/spring in the slide stop lever. if moisture gets in there and no lube, older guns the spring will rust out.

dump alot of oil in the detent and keep working the plunger. if brown crap comes out, hope it does not break but keep it oiled.

Site Supporter

Attachment 90030
    Just saw more than a few in Oaks. When the show is back in August, take a look around. You should be able to find both curved and flat backstrap models.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List