Thread: Prosecutor Announces Intent to Charge w/ Murder

Prosecutor Announces Intent to Charge w/ Murder

They want to charge the Grand Rapids officer involved in the ground fight over the taser. Suspect’s BAC was 0.29 according to the article.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-sho-rcna32648
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

The optics on this shooting are not great. However can the officer justify his actions based on where he believed the struggle was about to go?

Watched video of the incident on national news. Seemed to me the dude pulled over made a series of stupid decisions and escalated the situation to where the officer didnt have any other option. Curious why optics look bad? What should have the officer done?
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

I had a hard time being able to tell if the taser was an X26 (one shot before you have to swap cartridges) or an X2 (two shots). It discharged once during the struggle when they were both on their feet. If it was an X2, and the suspect had control of it, he could have fired another cartridge and disabled the officer long enough to disarm him. If it was an X26, it’s harder to articulate that same level of threat since he would only have been able to cause pain with a drive stun and not the neuro-muscular incapacitation. I think one would be an easier sell to a jury than the other.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

This should tell you everything you need to know.

"Everyone thinks prosecutors are an arm or branch for police and we are not ... Our duty is public safety, we work with them but we don't work for them."
    I always thought the police were there for the publics safety also. Some guy fighting and trying to disarm a cop would strike me a threat to public safety.

Maybe prosecutors now take the approach that if they don't charge the cop they may have to watch a city burn and charge a dozen people after a riot. An ounce of prevention or something.

This is the local situation.

When asked about the staffing shortage among law enforcement departments in the county, Sheriff Fortney acknowledged that it is “a real problem,” noting that 30 deputies have left the Sheriff’s department over the last six months and believes it’s the natural consequences of recent years.

“When you spend two and half years demeaning one profession—that’s law enforcement—on a state-wide level, that is going to have an impact on that profession. It doesn’t matter to me if it’s law enforcement or another profession,” he said.

“People are leaving in droves [from] many of the offices in Snohomish County,” he continued. According to Fortney, officers are leaving to different states where they feel supported and can financially support their families.
    https://lynnwoodtimes.com/2022/06/09...n-hall-220609/
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-10-2022 at 11:00 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List