Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reusing Racked Cartridge

What about dropped loaded magazines?

Last night I pulled my mag carrier out of my belt and placed it on the chest high shelf where I keep it. As I did so the fully loaded Glock 17 magazine slid out and fell 4 feet to the hardwood floor with a resounding impact.

As I picked it up I thought about this thread. Should I replace the ammo? Is the cracked primer cake issue in play here?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What about dropped loaded magazines?

Last night I pulled my mag carrier out of my belt and placed it on the chest high shelf where I keep it. As I did so the fully loaded Glock 17 magazine slid out and fell 4 feet to the hardwood floor with a resounding impact.

As I picked it up I thought about this thread. Should I replace the ammo? Is the cracked primer cake issue in play here?
    Realistically speaking, no. Think it through: if components were so sensitive that a drop/jolt loosened or damaged them, they would be almost useless to begin with. Just shooting (recoil) would jack things up.
    This is somewhat of an inaccurate example(and maybe engineers here will expound), but I have the thought in my mind that when a cartridge is chambered from the mag, it’s akin to tapping the bullet with a multi pound hammer. A G17 recoil spring is around 17 pounds, so the cartridge is taking a jolt when feeding from the mag. Then there’s the mark the extractor puts on the rim, chamber residue might scratch the case, etc. That is why one shouldn’t chamber scores of times. That’s what happened with the officer cited earlier; he’d chambered the SAME round maybe a couple hundred times…
    While I wouldn’t go around and toss mags against a concrete floor or a brick wall over and over, I won’t fret over one hitting a hard surface occasionally. I use dedicated training mags on our indoor range and inspect semi-annually or if there’s a malf.

Vending Machine Operator
    I second not worrying about dropping a magazine. Glock builds magazine robustly and ammo isn't that fragile. Do a quick inspection for physical damage. If none, no worries.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I try not to chamber a round too many times. For those who get agency ammo I dont see this being an issue. For those of us who have to purchase ammo it can add up quick. I have even thought about since defensive ammo is harder to come by if this would not be a reason to shoot a revolver more often. There would be less of a concern of loading and unloading for practice. I think the only other option is to get a spare gun to keep from rechambering.

User Tag List