Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reusing Racked Cartridge

Reusing Racked Cartridge

Hi. Is there a rule of thumb on how many times a SD cartridge can be racked, ejected, and then reused? I have one handgun that I use for concealed carry, home defense, and training. This means I’m regularly racking a cartridge when the gun is in self defense mode and ejecting it a few days or a week later for dry firing and/or range time. FWIW I use Federal 124g HST in a Glock 45. Thanks.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I won't use it for carry, but you can eyeball (or use calipers if you're really concerned) for excessive setback and just chuck it into the range mix.

I reached out to Speer a few years ago for their recommendation and they recommended not to re-chamber the same cartridge more than twice. I’m comfortable with three or four cycles, personally.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I have heard of people that use a permanent marker to mark a round every time they eject it. Four marks and it goes to the bottom of the magazine. Once every round in the magazine is marked four times, shoot them and get more ammo.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I reached out to Speer a few years ago for their recommendation and they recommended not to re-chamber the same cartridge more than twice. I’m comfortable with three or four cycles, personally.
    I've seen that same recommendation elsewhere.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I have heard of people that use a permanent marker to mark a round every time they eject it. Four marks and it goes to the bottom of the magazine. Once every round in the magazine is marked four times, shoot them and get more ammo.
    That’s how I keep track of how many times a given cartridge has been chambered. I believe I learned it from Claude Werner.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    You'll get answers all over the board from never to dozens to the oft-cited but never given any scientific basis of 4. Different guns are easier or rougher on cartridges and some cartridges are more tolerant of being battered than others. What's absolutely certain is there is some number that will cause the primer compound to break free of the primer (resulting in a dud cartridge) or bullet setback (which will cause an overpressure event when discharged). Bullet setback is visible. Primer issues aren't. I'm pretty comfy with single digits as long as it passes visual inspection, but start getting a little teeth on edge once I'm out of fingers to count on. This is also based on nothing scientific.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Thanks all. I like the idea of marking with a permanent marker and cycling them through the magazine

I used five carry mags when working. Three on the belt and two resting, they were numbered. I chambered the same round until days off, then placed it in a cup on the dresser and shoved in a new round. I rotated mags at the first of each month.

When we carried revolvers I shot my carry rounds plus the remainder of the box each month being as how there was a substantial difference between a Federal .357 158gr JSP and a .38 Spec 148gr DEWC over 2.8 grains of Bullseye.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    On 1911's and other pistols I would put the round into an empty mag and after pulling back the slide, I would let the slide ease forward and pick up this one round in such a way the extractor engaged the groove on the case. With Beretta 92's you can put the round in the chamber and let the slide go forward without damaging the extractor. Then I got lazy and would just put this round in a box of practice ammo. I should point out that my method using an empty mag served my needs as a civilian. It might not serve l.e. folks and might introduce handling error.

User Tag List