Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon Swager and Tight Primers

Dillon Swager and Tight Primers

Have you thought about sending out to be processed? When I looked into a few years ago, I was torn between sending it out and getting a dedicated machine for swaging. Ultimately the cheap bastard in me won out, but it was close enough that if I faced that choice again, Id probably pay someone to deal with that pain in the ass.

(I went with APP and it does a very good job for its cost and ease to use)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

In my experience, no matter what swaging system you use, you have to adjust it for each specific head stamp brass you are processing. The web on Lake City NATO brass is slightly different than WCC brass or Federal brass or IMI brass or others.

I bought a 600, but moved to a 1050 for primer swaging. The casefeeder on the 1050 makes all the difference. Processing 100 cases on a 600 is manageable, 1000 is not. When I started processing 223 brass by the bucket, the 1050 becomes the best option.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    In my experience, no matter what swaging system you use, you have to adjust it for each specific head stamp brass you are processing. The web on Lake City NATO brass is slightly different than WCC brass or Federal brass or IMI brass or others.

I bought a 600, but moved to a 1050 for primer swaging. The casefeeder on the 1050 makes all the difference. Processing 100 cases on a 600 is manageable, 1000 is not. When I started processing 223 brass by the bucket, the 1050 becomes the best option.
    I agree. The 1050 with case feeder makes it a breeze. The APP is easier than the 600 and at a reasonable price.

The question still remains if any of them can over-swage the pocket for the Ginex primers.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Another way, and costs less up front, is the get the small Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Head #390750 and chuck it in a drill. I know that if you go too deep it will leave the pockets on the loose side
    I'll try it with a drill but I've been using the Frankford Arsenal prep station with an RCBS crimp remover with no luck.

As for sorting by headstamp, I have a bunch of Lake City brass, some others mixed in but well enough that sorting wouldn't be ridiculous. If the 600 works at the speed I see people online have them set up with a rubber band, I think it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    In my experience, no matter what swaging system you use, you have to adjust it for each specific head stamp brass you are processing.
    This. There’s no good reason to be over-swaging cases. If swaging correctly, here’s what the cases should look like.

The first pic below shows the case head of a factory-loaded round that has a crimped primer.

Now, a deprimed case, using a Dillon Super Swage.

The case from the above pic that has had the primer pocket swaged with the Super Swage . . .

And a pic with the same case reprimed . . .

This last pic shows the factory-loaded round next to the reprimed case for easy comparison.

Member of the General Population

User Tag List