Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Swager and Tight Primers

Dillon Swager and Tight Primers

Planning on loading a lot of .223 and I'm looking at the Dillon 600. Is there any way to adjust the swager so it oversizes the primer pocket? I've already loaded a couple hundred rounds of 9mm with Ginex and I really don't want to deal with possibly crushing primers if possible. Ideally I'd just use CCI or Federal but I won't be able to get my hands on them.

@JCL can you help?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

You might try sorting by case and then adjusting accordingly.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @JCL can you help?
    Hmmm, I’ve just used mine for removing the crimp from milsurp NATO brass, which I assume has fairly uniform web thickness regardless of manufacturer. It’s been set and forget for me.

Another way, and costs less up front, is the get the small Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Head #390750 and chuck it in a drill. I know that if you go too deep it will leave the pockets on the loose side.

My experience with the Dillon swager was a bit frustrating as you really needed to be sure to sort your brass by headstamp. If you don't, the different case web thicknesses will cause headaches.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Planning on loading a lot of .223 and I'm looking at the Dillon 600. Is there any way to adjust the swager so it oversizes the primer pocket? I've already loaded a couple hundred rounds of 9mm with Ginex and I really don't want to deal with possibly crushing primers if possible. Ideally I'd just use CCI or Federal but I won't be able to get my hands on them.
    Good advice on sorting brass, which I hate doing for high-throughput reloading. I addressed the problem by swaging some cases twice. Any cases that didn't require a solid push on the handle went into a bin for 2nd round, with the swage rod adjusted deeper.

Be careful with reamers. You can easily go too wide and cause blown primers.

I have done a bunch with both and this sure sounds like a good job for the Lee APP
    https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-app-press.html
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post954579

Will cost a little more, but not a great deal more, and it can do other things.

Site Supporter
    Generally speaking, the crimp does not extend into the primer pocket. It covers edges of the primer. Use that information in setting your tool. Also, I suggest that you call Dillon and ask them for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Generally speaking, the crimp does not extend into the primer pocket. It covers edges of the primer. Use that information in setting your tool. Also, I suggest that you call Dillon and ask them for advice.
    ^^^this. Dillon CS is good.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Also, I suggest that you call Dillon and ask them for advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ^^^this. Dillon CS is good.
    Yes, but they ain't quite as easy to ring up as they once were.
    The manual is online, the adjustment is simple, info on page 7.

ETA: ( @Olim9 ) I wasn't planning to sell mine, but I probably do not need it. I would be willing to work out some kind of a try/buy, PM me if you are interested.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-08-2022 at 02:14 PM.

User Tag List