Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Don't Shoot to Kill - Israeli Perspective for Americans?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I always understood that they were issued something but had an opportunity to buy something else on the approved list.

Back around 2008-2010 a guy I used to work with son is/was a NYPD internal affairs detective. He was issued a 5906. Only reason I know is he was asking me where his son could get extra mags. Apparently his apartment was robbed and mags stolen. I guess he was debating on just buying some and not saying anything or asking the department for more but then he'd probably have to explain why. Either way he said it was issued. His son didn't feel like spending money on buying something he would be given anyway

Right, so the veterans already have guns. If they wanted to "trade" for a new G17.4 they'd have to buy it

The largest department here does the same thing. Recruits are issued a G17 but they can carry any Glock they want on their own dime. If it happens to be anything other than a 9mm the ammo is also on their dime
    Some large departments issue pistols, some don't.

NYPD doesn't issue pistols.

Early in the Academy recruits are given a chance to handle the three primary duty guns (Currently Glock 19.4, G17.4 and the SIG P226 DAO) dry and choose one. They then buy the gun from the NYPD equipment section along with all their other gear. uniforms etc. The guns are paid for as part of the lump sum payment they make for their uniforms and equipment. They don't get to take the gun home until they graduate the Academy. Hence the confusion about "issued" pistols.

In the past new NYPD recruits had to save up before entering the Academy as they could go a month or two before they started getting paid and often had to come up with the $2,000 plus lump sump for their uniforms and equipment before they started getting paid.

If they want to switch duty guns, want approved back up or off duty guns they have to either buy them from the equipment section or from a store and have them inspected and "put on the books."

This system has been in place for decades (at least since the 1970s) when the choices were between revolver brands.

The G17.4 replaced the S&W 5956 a few years back when S&W finally stopped supporting the 3rd gen guns. The 17.4 must be used with 15 round magazines for consistency with the other two duty gun choices. When you have 40,000 cops and have to qualify 1,000 officers per week details add up.

Many large agencies including LAPD, Chicago PD Houston PD etc have similar "buy via Dept in the Academy" systems. Usually with mutiple options.

Some agencies stick with one platform such as different sizes or calibers of Glocks, some allow multiple platforms, though these are often restricted to one caliber for logistical reasons.

All federal agencies I'm aware of issue pistols but most have / allow optional personally owned alternatives.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-21-2022 at 01:03 PM.

User Tag List