Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Department exodus articles

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    From the OP: "Consequently, the SPD stopped assigning adult sexual assault cases to detectives. As alarming, SPD’s Special Assault and Child Abuse Unit went from 12 detectives three years ago to just four."

Article with more details: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...al-memo-shows/

The Powers That Be dispute that they are ignoring adult sex assaults, but my amateur reading between the lines makes me think the article is largely true.

Now, my political prognostications are usually about as accurate as those from pundits who do that for a living, i.e. 'Not Very', but still ... when someone's wife/aunt/adult daughter gets raped and the police don't have the time to investigate ... that's not viable. People will grumble year after year about potholes, but they just won't stand for rapes. Or when we lived in Seattle and were burgled, the responding officer was clear that nothing was going to happen other than the report getting filed. OK, I get it, my fellow taxpayers don't want to fund a team of detectives moving heaven and earth to find the guy who took our VCR. But your wife gets raped and there is no followup ... I just don't think that's going to be politically acceptable, even in Seattle.
    The trouble with sex assault is often victim's wishes. In the past were they "assigning" all cases, even if the victims did not work to proceed and then exceptionally clearing them? Are they now only "assigning" them with victims who desire prosecution? Are they going to non-specialized detectives that work general crimes instead of the sex crimes people? I doubt they're just round filing all of them.

We had something of a scandal in my state a few years back over the "huge backlog" of unprocessed rape kits. The truth oh the matter was much more complicated and had more to do with victim wishes. A form was rolled out for victims to indicate how they wished to proceed and kits are routed based on that. Boom. "Backlog" issue fixed.

So I'm not saying the article isn't 100% as it sounds, but I see a lot of room for semantics.

erick gelhaus

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Well.... I just submitted a application to the Charlotte Mecklenburg PD.
    Best wishes. Were I to offer any suggestion, it would be for a mid-size agency rather than a large, urban one these days.

Local news story about canceling a long running annual festival.
    The TLDR version is the cop to hoodlum ratio is just too low right now. It is making the hoodlums bolder, so better to not do anything that requires more manpower.
    Plus the downtown area is being revitalized and some projects are coming along nicely, so best not to stage an event that might make the suburbanites less likely to visit.

The story might be behind a paywall (I pay, so I don't know if it may or not let you in for a peek), here are a couple highlights:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  34.6 KB

I actually appreciate this candor, basically conceding there are not enough cops to take about forty of them off of their normal responsibilities. But yeah, staffing is historically low because of high attrition and a large number of retirements, but no mention of why there is high attrition and people are tapping out ASAP. It is pretty obvious that it is because there is low support for LE in the core city so they quit, but you cannot say the quiet part out loud.

Site Supporter
    In a similar situation, and right up the road, Columbus' Asian Festival is this weekend, back after a 3 year pandemic-related hiatus. The festival is held just outside downtown in a large park that surrounds a pretty nice conservatory ( https://www.fpconservatory.org/ ). For the last several pre-pandemic, there were escalating problems with urban youth which caused them to have to shut down early at least once.

From what I can tell, they're making no changes. I'll be in the 911 center Saturday and Sunday night listening to the play by play.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Local news story about canceling a long running annual festival.
    The TLDR version is the cop to hoodlum ratio is just too low right now. It is making the hoodlums bolder, so better to not do anything that requires more manpower.
    Plus the downtown area is being revitalized and some projects are coming along nicely, so best not to stage an event that might make the suburbanites less likely to visit.

I actually appreciate this candor, basically conceding there are not enough cops to take about forty of them off of their normal responsibilities. But yeah, staffing is historically low because of high attrition and a large number of retirements, but no mention of why there is high attrition and people are tapping out ASAP. It is pretty obvious that it is because there is low support for LE in the core city so they quit, but you cannot say the quiet part out loud.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List