Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Department exodus articles

Department exodus articles

Seattle Police crisis worsens, on track to lose nearly 200 cops this year

https://mynorthwest.com/3501228/rant...is-exodus-200/
    #RESIST

Chicago police ‘brain drain’? Retirements have stabilized, but 660 cops retired in 2021, almost twice as many as in 2018

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...zoy-story.html
    #RESIST

It’s happening around here as well. Departments close to me are having to pull School Resource Officers and Detectives out of their special assignments so they can staff patrol.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

San Francisco police chief explains what's driving dire staffing issues; nearly 600 officers short

https://abc7news.com/sfpd-staffing-s...area/11746659/
    #RESIST

Our local PD has grown and their are talks of building a whole new police department building in the near future. Small towns are awesome.
    We also have an absurdly low crime rate... strange how supporting your local police has that effect.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    San Francisco police chief explains what's driving dire staffing issues; nearly 600 officers short

https://abc7news.com/sfpd-staffing-s...area/11746659/
    Same kind of BS being spoken by my old department who is hundreds of officers short. What else can they say? They aren't going to say it's because of the mayor, or the administration is a joke, or goofy and overly restrictive policies, or lack of support, or crimes not being prosecuted, lack of cash bail, or all of the above. And, they will never mention the community and city council disdain for the police who have been villainized. The pay may be lower but these are NOT the real reasons certain departments are short. A lot of officers from my old job are leaving and going to surrounding area departments where the pay may be higher or may be lower, but they are supported and criminals are prosecuted. Those departments are fully staffed and have a large number of applicants for any vacancies.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    Same kind of BS being spoken by my old department who is hundreds of officers short. What else can they say? They aren't going to say it's because of the mayor, or the administration is a joke, or goofy and overly restrictive policies, or lack of support, or crimes not being prosecuted, lack of cash bail, or all of the above. And, they will never mention the community and city council disdain for the police who have been villainized. The pay may be lower but these are NOT the real reasons certain departments are short. A lot of officers from my old job are leaving and going to surrounding area departments where the pay may be higher or may be lower, but they are supported and criminals are prosecuted. Those departments are fully staffed and have a large number of applicants for any vacancies.
    In the particular case from the article, you are absolutely correct. Traditional financial incentives will not lure or retain officers in SF. In 1990, when I took the Civil Service Exam for the PD at the Civic Auditorium, there were 3000 people there that day. A few weeks ago, we had 7 people show up. We're almost 600 short (from a department that was over 2200 just 5 years ago), and 565 people are eligible to retire this month. I just had my retirement counseling appointment with the city Retirement system. It was an online meeting for a group of people (used to be one on one in person). It had been postponed twice because the office is overwhelmed with demand. Of the prospective retirees in my group, I was the only one with 30 years.

Resignations by young officers are outpacing retirements by close to 2 to 1. And we can't get even 20 people into an academy class. This time next year, there's gonna be 1000 cops left in The City. This attrition rate, and the cascade failure that it creates, is why I say it's likely in 3 years there's no PD left in SF.

The command staff visited some stations recently and informed the troops that to deal with the constant uncertainty of being held over, they're going to 14 hr shifts across the board. Mandatory minimum 16 hrs of OT a week for all. That let's people plan, they said. And to help the guys with crazy long commutes? They're gonna put containers full of sleep pods at the district stations so you don't even need to go home between shifts! Isn't that super?

There's no fixing it at this point. It will take a complete cultural and political shift in the city to make a change. I estimate that's 35-40 years away....so good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    There's no fixing it at this point. It will take a complete meltdown in the city to make a change. I estimate that's 35-40 years away....so good luck to them.
    Fixed it for you. There has to be a point where the city population realizes there is no PD left. Summer of love 2023?

Everything in this thread was predicted by esteemed LE/former LE members of this forum a couple of years ago. Turns out that our guys knew of what they spoke, to no real surprise.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

In my office in Houston we had a little over 200 agents. We had 17 retire last year. 13 have put in paper to go this year.

We got two new hires right before the pandemic, and we have one new hire in the academy now. With about 8 people transferred in from other offices. We can't sustain this pace of loss. At least folks want to apply for our agency. But they still have to pass all the background, education, credit checks, PT test, credit checks, etc.... Fletc is running as many as they can through, but the retirements are just snowballing.

We did massive hiring post 9/11 to build DHS. Now, we are seeing all these hires who came on post 9/11/01 hit their 20yrs, and why stick around for the headache of the current political situation when they will pay you to sit at home for the rest of your life. Massive exodus are still coming for all DHS entities. Especially Border Patrol.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List