Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prefered combat grips for K frame?

I am a t-grip / bk grip guy

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Uncle Mikes are great but I think they're out of business. I tried to find a new set for my mod 36 and no luck. I have those on an old Taurus 85. That's the reason I wanted them for my 36.

I have some Ahrends on my mod 19 that I like but they went out of business also. Should have bought about 10 of these when they were in business. Who Knew?

You can still find them on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    Honestly, the Hideouts are fugly. They look a bit better in person.

However, the fit is superb. Medium profile in the undercut zone - less than T Grip, but more filling than splinter grips or even a bit more than Banana grips IIRC. They have a smooth enough surface to avoid grabbing cover garments but just enough subtle texture to allow a sufficient grip for smooth double action pulls.

They are a Goldilocks zone for me at AIWB.

Attachment 89864

I have some smooth custom-made Herretts and a no-name wooden boot grip. They are much more attractive to my eyes than the Hideouts, but no more effective.

Attachment 89863
    Since you like the Hideouts, I’ve got a pair I’ll swap you for those Herretts[emoji6]

Sheriff Jim Wilson posted this picture with his article in the NRA mag. Reminded me of the 19 I bought from the Kanto Plains Sportsman Club when I was stationed in Japan. I put Bear Hug stocks on it and declared it the prettiest wheelgun ever. Wilson's is a peach, too.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220613-081116_kindlephoto-911256459.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  60.4 KB
    Last edited by Oldherkpilot; 06-13-2022 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Screwed it up

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Since you like the Hideouts, I’ve got a pair I’ll swap you for those Herretts[emoji6]
    In my defense, I carry the Herretts Detectives on the regular. It is a Model 12 Airweight, so can be uncomfortable with spicier .38 Special. The slightly longer than boot grip length Herretts help make it more enjoyable than true Boots. The minor length increase in butt causes me little concern at AIWB.

I sent my hand tracing to Herretts and about six months later got those pretty stocks. I didn’t pay for the fancy wood, but the grain is attractive but not stunning. I would rate my grain just a bit less attractive than the Grain displayed by the Sheriff. In other words, pretty but darn functional.

However, my smaller hands with stubby fingers were still not a great fit on the custom Herretts. Three or four sessions with 200-grit sandpaper got those Herretts just right, mostly relieved on the right side and a bit more undercut. 4-5 coats of linseed restored the finish.

Long and short is the custom Herretts worked out with some improvement. Choosing smooth Herretts paid off when I reduced the dimensions a bit more. No complaints with Herretts and I do appreciate their work.

I have some pretty K Frame Square Stags and Targets, but nothing rolls back on target like the round butt Herretts. I figure my WWII veteran Grandfather might appreciate the RB, as he was a wheel gunner.

I picked up a set of the Pachmayr Compacs recently because I though the Compac Professionals I had on a gun we’re a little small, even for my smaller hands. I was hoping that similar grips that covered the backstrap would be just enough larger to be perfect. The regular Compacs are substantially larger and are likely too big. Is there anything similar between the Compacs and the Compac Professionals in size?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I picked up a set of the Pachmayr Compacs recently because I though the Compac Professionals I had on a gun we’re a little small, even for my smaller hands. I was hoping that similar grips that covered the backstrap would be just enough larger to be perfect. The regular Compacs are substantially larger and are likely too big. Is there anything similar between the Compacs and the Compac Professionals in size?
    Wondering this too, I wish Hogue had better compact wood K-frame options.

Name:  IMG_20220627_135352.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  22.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220627_132751.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  20.6 KB

I haven't shot with them yet, but soon.

I prefer the VZ grips. Here is my Model 69 44 with K frame gripframe.

Here's a pic on my Mountain Gun from the rear

I’m partial to the Pachmayr Presentation/Compac grips. These are the discontinued, two-piece grips without medallions. Seen here on a 2.5” 66-1 that was a former Deputy Chief’s issued revolver from “back in the day”. I believe he served from the late 70’s to about 2006 or so.

Does anyone know why they discontinued these? They fit my hand the best of all the Pachmayrs I’ve tried, and I have average-sized hands.

User Tag List