Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
I clean the bore on my guns once a year using one of Brownells' chuckable cleaning rods, a pretty powerful cordless drill, and an assortment of tornado brushes and nylon brushes.

Sheer brute force and a tornado brush can do a whole lot to clean the bore.

Boretech's shotgun blend is a good solvent to use as it helps to lift plastic residue away from the bore as well as the typical lead and carbon you find from shotgun shells. Foaming bore cleanser from GunSlick works pretty well, too.

I'll usually put some Boretech on a mop or hit the bore with the foam and run it through the barrel and let it sit for a while to do some work. Then I'll run a tornado brush through with the chuckable cleaning rod, then maybe a nylon brush, and then I'll wrap the tornado brush in a patch and run that through the bore. Generally it's pretty clean then.

De-leading a barrel that's seen a lot of slugs and no maintenance is a much less pleasant task.

One thing you can do to help reduce the need for a lot of cleaning is to run a boresnake with a little bit of solvent like the Boretech Shotgun blend through the barrel while it's still warm/hot. Just doing that before you put the gun back in the case will keep a lot of that shit from latching on to your bore hard enough to need a scrubbing. Prevention by frequently hitting your warm barrel with a boresnake is probably much better medicine than pounds of tornado brush cure.

I've also seen clients use those CleanShot shotgun shells at the end of the day and i've been surprised at how effective they are.

Bean bag rounds are also pretty good at scrubbing the bore ballistically.

Federal DPRS slugs work pretty well, too. Barrel leading is why I prefer Hydrashok slugs to the truballs, as a rule, though. LR is FAR less "leady" than full boogie, too.