Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LTT Beretta 1301 shotgun ejection problem

LTT Beretta 1301 shotgun ejection problem

Took my new LTT Beretta 1301 to the range yesterday. Brand new and I watched the Langdon Tactical YouTube video on cleaning the shotgun and followed the instructions carefully for its first cleaning prior to taking it to the range.

I fired fifty rounds of #PB127DPRS Federal slugs (1350 fps) through the shotgun and had failure to eject malfunctions the 1st, 12th and 16th shots fired. Hopefully I have correctly attached pictures of the malfunctions to this post.

I emailed Langdon but haven’t heard back yet. Anyone had a similar problem or have a suggestion as to what the problem might be?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Shameless bump / request for help.

Is it that unique of a problem or something simple I should know the answer to?

Unique. That should not be happening, especially on a new shotgun. I have had failures to eject like that only when my clays shotgun was extremely dirty -- on the order of 5,000+ rounds through the gun. If that were mine, my first call would be to Langdon, which is what you have done. Did you run anything lighter through the gun, or were they all slugs?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Did you run anything lighter through the gun, or were they all slugs?
    Thank you for the reply. No other ammo at all, just the slugs. They are Federal brand and I’ve had no issue with them in other shotguns. It wasn’t really dirty when I cleaned it, i just basically wanted to get it lubed before taking it to the range.

Not what I wanted to hear but I do appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
    Thank you for the reply. No other ammo at all, just the slugs. They are Federal brand and I’ve had no issue with them in other shotguns.
    1,350 fps should be ample to kick the bolt back, even if it were dirty, which it isn't. There may be something impeding the proper cycling of the bolt. I was not questioning the ammo. Was just curious if anything less hot cycled well. Very nice shotgun. I went and watched the Langdon video to see what modifications were made, but I did not see anything that should affect the cycling of the bolt.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

1,350 fps should be ample to kick the bolt back, even if it were dirty, which it isn't. There may be something impeding the proper cycling of the bolt. I was not questioning the ammo. Was just curious if anything less hot cycled well. Very nice shotgun. I went and watched the Langdon video to see what modifications were made, but I did not see anything that should affect the cycling of the bolt.
    Sorry, I misunderstood about the ammo.

I did notice a slight “stickiness” to the bolt initially. If I locked the bolt to the rear and used the bolt release lever it went fully forward without issue. If I pulled the charging handle back partway and released it there were a couple of times it would fail to fully seat into the chamber. I didn’t notice it after I cleaned / lubricated the shotgun so I didn’t give it anymore thought.

This is a good looking shotgun but so far it’s not endearing itself to me. My heart sank when I had the malfunction on the very first round I fired. It stings even worse given that I have a couple of Benelli M4’s that have been 100% flawless. I was really hoping for the same level of reliability out of this 1301.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

Snidely, go post your problem over in the Beretta 1301 Tactical thread started by GJM. There's 560+ pages over there. Someone there may have experienced your issue. I suspect your issue is the bolt isn't cycling like it should, especially with you describing the bolt as initially sticky. Shouldn't be that way. A new shotgun should be cycling wonderfully smooth and easy.

On edit I would add: should be cycling wonderfully smooth and easy, especially coming from Langdon.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    You should be able to put a finger on the extractor and pull it outward towards the direction of the shell's ejection and it should move relatively freely. Does your extractor do that?

Disassemble the shotgun and check to ensure the ejector is still in the gun. It should be pinned in place inside the barrel extension, and should move fairly freely back and forth with some spring tension. Is your ejector there and does it move as described?

When you hold the barrel perfectly horizontally in front of you, the peak of the ejector should be visible. Is it?
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    You should be able to put a finger on the extractor and pull it outward towards the direction of the shell's ejection and it should move relatively freely. Does your extractor do that?

Disassemble the shotgun and check to ensure the ejector is still in the gun. It should be pinned in place inside the barrel extension, and should move fairly freely back and forth with some spring tension. Is your ejector there and does it move as described?

When you hold the barrel perfectly horizontally in front of you, the peak of the ejector should be visible. Is it?
    @TCinVA, Thank you so much for posting some suggestions!

I can pull the extractor outwards towards the ejection port and it moves relatively freely.
    The ejector is still in the shotgun and it does move back and forth with some spring tension. It’s stiff but it moves with just my fingernail.
    With the the shotgun assembled, the bolt pulled and locked back, and with the shotgun horizontal I can see the ejector through the port. Is that what you meant?

Hopefully I’ve attached pictures to this post correctly and you can confirm things look OK?

PS - It shames me to post pictures of a dirty shotgun to a public forum as I’m one of those OCD guys who finds it impossible to not clean a gun after time at the range but in this instance I didn’t want to do any more than I had to in case I have to send it in for return or repairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I suspect your issue is the bolt isn't cycling like it should, especially with you describing the bolt as initially sticky. Shouldn't be that way. A new shotgun should be cycling wonderfully smooth and easy, especially coming from Langdon.
    I’ve been messing with it a bit today and I can’t recreate the “stickiness”. Not sure what that means, if anything.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help with this. Between you and TCinVA it’s helped a lot being able to look at some possible issues so that I’ll be able to talk about the problem intelligently tomorrow when I call Langdon.

Edit to add: I’m not sure if this is correct function or not - If I ride the bolt forward slowly the bolt stops about a quarter of an inch before being seated fully forward/ in the chamber. A slight tap on the bolt handle let’s the bolt go the rest of the way forward.
    Is that natural or does it indicate a problem?
    Last edited by Snidely Whiplash; 06-05-2022 at 01:16 PM.

User Tag List