Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fight Lights

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    FWIW- I use two of these in my EDCL-2, and it gives me easily 25 lumens in low mode. I was disappointed in the 5 lumens for doing preflight walk arounds in the dark, and the high mode was nearly blinding in a confined space like a wheel well.

With these higher-output rechargeables, all is good. I’ve been using them for several years now with no ill effects.

I’ve heard that they don’t work well in an EDCL-1, however. (Don’t recall the issue)

Attachment 89895
    Any idea how to achieve a similar solution with an EDCL-1? EDCL-2 is a bit big for me taste.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Any idea how to achieve a similar solution with an EDCL-1? EDCL-2 is a bit big for me taste.
    I’m afraid not. I don’t even recall what the reported problem was when using the cells I recommended in the EDCL-1. Only that a conversation somewhere here on P-F said they didn’t give the desired results.
    If a solution comes to light, I’ll be interested, too.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    This is an excellent point, something that should be kept in mind for the context of this thread - one needs to embrace the two-light carry mindset to optimally configure a light for self-defensive purposes.

At least in my mind a fight light is a one-trick pony, but is extraordinarily well-suited for that purpose. For this reason, I carry two lights: one well suited for common tasks but could still be pressed into service as a fight light, and a dedicated fight light.

If one is using a WML on their pistol, I think the majority consensus is that a hand held needs to be carried as well. My thinking here is the same, except the "WML" is not attached to the pistol. Here are two lights that IMO cover the two-light-carry school of thought well;

The Quark has a normal clicky switch with momentary on partial press, and has a broad (low-candela) beam that is set for 55 lumens with bezel loose and 780 lumens with the bezel tight. It only weighs 2.2 ounces and is truly no effort to carry. This "administrative light" gets the vast majority of my EDC use. But if I'm in a low-light situation that I sense a threat might be present, it's the fight light that's in-hand.
    I use the two light concept, but in "primary+backup" roles. As I am loathe to spend the time and money to do a whole lot of experimentation and LEGO-ing, my off-the-shelf solution is currently a Streamlight PT 1L-1AA as the primary, with a PT1L as backup. They are programmed to the factory default, with HIGH coming first. If I need a lower output, I press through the strobe, which I agree is useless, except for getting someone's attention....which, actually, I have had to do on the job on more that one or two occasions.

Photo below shows my "ice pick" grip - the pinkie is placed under the light for improved directional control and alignment with the sights. I use the MCP joint of the thumb to operate the switch, which results in a more natural grip as opposed to using the tip of the thumb. The grip ring is placed between the index and middle fingers, helping to anchor the light.

I find gripping the light this way provides a secure, comfortable hold and excellent control of the momentary switch. It works equally as well with the Quark, and whether the light is deployed in a Harries, FBI or neck hold;

Regardless of the light or the grip used, repetition of gripping and presenting the light with the pistol is really the key and is a part of my regular dry fire practice.
    I use the same grip. I find that it lets me do some manipulations, like a reload a magazine, without dropping the light. I works for me for <1" lights, but not for 1">. I do not like or use the cigar grip at all....just doesn't work for me.

Just experimenting right now... using the meat of the thumb rather than the tip, I cannot depress the button enough to click it into continuous mode, so thanks for that little tidbit!!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    As I am loathe to spend the time and money to do a whole lot of experimentation and LEGO-ing...
    I suspect you're not alone in that assessment. ;-)

I've spent more time and $$ doing so that I care to admit, but the process has yielded some excellent results. Maybe I should just build a few of the winners and put them up for sale in the For Sale forum.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I suspect you're not alone in that assessment. ;-)

I've spent more time and $$ doing so that I care to admit, but the process has yielded some excellent results. Maybe I should just build a few of the winners and put them up for sale in the For Sale forum.
    Maybe if some interested members PM you, this can happen?

I wouldn’t be carrying my 1-cell BG2 without your expert guidance.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Maybe if some interested members PM you, this can happen?
    Yes.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Could I put an E2XTD on an MDC 18650 to E-Series body and essentially get a Bodyguard without the 10-second stepdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Could I put an E2XTD on an MDC 18650 to E-Series body and essentially get a Bodyguard without the 10-second stepdown?
    This head is essentially the Bodyguard without a step down - https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...gh-output-head

The head you linked to is a physically larger, high-candela head (very different beam pattern). Like the E2 Super Scout I linked to above, the Bodyguard produces 12,000 candela.

The head you linked to is a physically larger, high-candela head (very different beam pattern). Like the E2 Super Scout I linked to above, the Bodyguard produces 12,000 candela.
    That's what I'm looking for—less flood, max throw.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    That's what I'm looking for—less flood, max throw.
    Got it. If throw is what you're looking for, the E2XT is the ticket.

User Tag List