Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Painting Front Sight

I have painted a lot of sights over the years using the Testors/toothpick technique. I put a Dawson FO on maybe 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I tried the 4-5 colors and found I like the yellow/green the best. At my basement workbench I can sight against a lot of different colors and I found that there, in the low light, the yellow works best. Outdoors I can use any color but in low light I think the yellow is best because it is closest to white. BTW I found that fiber is available in .040" and .060" diameters. Since a common 1/16" drill bit is .062, I drill out any FO sights set up for .040 and then use .060" FO tube.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    As I age I think I also think fiber is the way to go.

I wish @SLG would have the old P-T site had the old blog posts available as well as the article...

But this is thankfully still there.

pat
    I hadn't been to the site since shortly after @SLG revived it. I wasn't patient enough, and need to check more often, because the TLG blog stuff is there.

Thank you!

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The JohnO modification is money for iron sights...and pretty easy to do.

For those of you painting your sights, use multiple coats of white appliance paint as your base and then apply the flourescent colors in a couple of layers over the top of that. It will really make a huge difference in how the color pops.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for the tip. Your application process sounds good to me

If one is not red-green color blind - then the human eye and brain can differentiate more shades of green than any other color. Green is among the fastest colors picked out for this reason.

That said, it you live someplace where there is a lot of green foliage around - it may not be the right color for you, because green washes out faster when moving. So a green front sight might wash out, particularly from bright to shade.

Orange, red, and yellow are also less naturally occurring than green and almost as easily picked up. If you're red-green colorblind yellow is your best color. R-G color blind folks differentiate blue and yellow the most.

It’s true that most human eyes are tuned to pick out green faster and easier than other colors in normal light- but in lower light (mesoptic conditions), yellow is actually more easy to discern.

So, a green-yellow front sight is always going to be a good all-round choice for most people with normal vision, using sights “by the book”.

I personally find this to be true even with target-focused iron sight use.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It’s true that most human eyes are tuned to pick out green faster and easier than other colors in normal light- but in lower light (mesoptic conditions), yellow is actually more easy to discern.

So, a green-yellow front sight is always going to be a good all-round choice for most people with normal vision, using sights “by the book”.

I personally find this to be true even with target-focused iron sight use.
    I decided to paint the little nub that passes an LCP font sight.

I did two coats of white. When I was examining the sight aD free fully curing before moving on to the high viz color, I found I really liked the bright white front sight. So I left it as-is.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your response! Your paint job looks well done and appears to pop pretty well to me.

Site Supporter
    Yes, you make a good point about losing a green sight among foliage. I don't hunt, so that's not a concern for me, but may help others who do.

Thank you!

User Tag List