Thread: Hacking the mind with Magic

Hacking the mind with Magic

This is an excellent presentation on the neuroscience behind Magic tricks.
    It is fascinating how one's attention can be led by so many methods. The realization that our attention is a spotlight instead of a floodlight, and the self deception that it allows has implications in the realm of interpersonal combat.

Site Supporter
    I’ll have to watch the video after work. This is something that Ed Calderon has and continues to cover pretty regularly. He posts lots of videos/examples from street people/performers/petty criminals. It’s in interesting subject and applicable to more than just fighting.

Very interesting thread, would not discount. Do some further research on CiA MKultra program wherein they used a magician to train their operatives in deception to facilitate poisioning drinks etc. recently listened to podcast on surreptious draws, speed of draw and distraction to wherein the gun just seemingly “appeared.” Love Ed Calderon’s insights and his “dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Very interesting thread, would not discount. Do some further research on CiA MKultra program wherein they used a magician to train their operatives in deception to facilitate poisioning drinks etc. recently listened to podcast on surreptious draws, speed of draw and distraction to wherein the gun just seemingly “appeared.” Love Ed Calderon’s insights and his “dreams.”
    Got a link to the podcast?

Site Supporter
    Here’s a kid using misdirection to escape getting jumped and getting his bike stolen.

http://instagram.com/instagram.com/reel/CexR69sDecv/

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Here’s a kid using misdirection to escape getting jumped and getting his bike stolen.

http://instagram.com/instagram.com/reel/CexR69sDecv/
    Link not working. I think I saw it on Calderon's feed?

Here's an interesting example of leading the mind

I love this thread, as there is much for us to learn, I really liked the mis direction of the bike clip. Kinda like the the Jedi mind games: “ there is nothing to see here, these aren’t the droids your looking for…” etc.

Surely we have some magicians in the audience that could offer some insight as to how best incorporate these concepts into self defense, escape and evasion etc. I can think of some like a bladed discrete draw, distraction with a roll of bills, concealing weapon under a folded newspaper as you answer the door, etc. I am sure there are others would love to here them.

User Tag List