Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob: Three reasons why you need to carry extra ammo and magazines

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Ouch, that phrase stings with truth. I've never seen our love of shooting described in such a way.
    I can’t take credit for the words. I think it was Tam who first used the phrase here, and she may well have got it from someone else. It’s been a phenomenon though, for longer than either of us have been alive, I do know that much.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Glock 19 (minimum) + spare mag everywhere; including, for a "quick trip to the store" in a "good area".
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Your argument is invalid from my perspective, that's like saying gas tanks should only be filled 1/4 of the way in your car at a given time because it's so rare that people drive further than that in one trip. Just like a car, if you need to go further and didn't bring enough to cover you it's a paperweight.

Now, had you said I just can't carry the extra weight then that would be a valid argument for not doing so but trying to justify it by the 'norms' you have seen on tape is not sound logic.
    There's literally several hundred videos of gunfights you can watch online. If you watch hundreds and hundreds of videos and don't see something happen, I think its safe to assume that thing is likely not to occur. I understand it makes people feel good to have a spare magazine, and that's perfectly fine. But that does not indicate a necessity. What's more important than a spare magazine is a higher capacity gun

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I'll note that John Coreia recently posted his opinion about this issue on his Active Self Protection Extra channel.

For those who don't like YouTube, John indicates that in the ~40,000 gunfights that he's reviewed, a reload made a difference in zero of the fights by "private citizens".

A few other thoughts of my own:

1: If you carry an extra mag or two, I don't have a problem with that.

2: I'm a huge fan of Mas, and have followed his writing for decades.

3. I concur with the comments posted by @Utm - capacity probably matters more.

4. If I was caught in an active shooter event, I would want a reload...
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-03-2022 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Clarity and accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Those 4-5-6 rounds are probably going to be it then the gunfight is over. Either bad guy is hit, or bad guy ran off. Moving to cover doesn't really

happen, although theoretically it's a good idea
    That does not always happen.

I was in a gunfight where the BG shot multiple people and eventually ran out of ammo.

Was also involved in one where rounds fired from the poor migrants seeking a better life (illegal alien drug dealers known to us) started coming from 50+ yards away before we even came to a stop (responding to the shots fired call) in a labor camp.

The whole 2-3 rounds and 3-4 seconds average at 5 yards and under has definitely not been my experience.

But others may vary.

Those experiences tend to cause a person to not be lazy about what they carry. It is one of the reasons why I don't mess with subcompact guns and I carry guns I am genuinely willing to get into a fight with. Because when you get into a fight you are almost always at a disadvantage since you did not choose to initiate. Having the ability to precisely return fire and with a decent on board capacity becomes extremely important.

You don't get the fight you want. You just get what you get, and you have to deal with it. It usually sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That does not always happen.

I was in a gunfight where the BG shot multiple people and eventually ran out of ammo.

Was also involved in one where rounds fired from the poor migrants seeking a better life (illegal alien drug dealers known to us) started coming from 50+ yards away before we even came to a stop (responding to the shots fired call) in a labor camp.

The whole 2-3 rounds and 3-4 seconds average at 5 yards and under has definitely not been my experience.

But others may vary.

Those experiences tend to cause a person to not be lazy about what they carry. It is one of the reasons why I don't mess with subcompact guns and I carry guns I am genuinely willing to get into a fight with. Because when you get into a fight you are almost always at a disadvantage since you did not choose to initiate. Having the ability to precisely return fire and with a decent on board capacity becomes extremely important.

You don't get the fight you want. You just get what you get, and you have to deal with it. It usually sucks.
    I assume these were in an LE capacity? LE shootings do not generally play out the same way private citizen shootings do. I also don't necessarily subscribe to the 2-3 rounds in 3 seconds at 5 yards theory.

I get his point, but it just doesn't mimic what we see in real gunfights
    And we get yours.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I understand what you are saying.

Though some people always want to differentiate.

They want clear definitions and nice neat packages. Cops versus citizens, police vs military, fistfight versus knife fight.

The fact is that a fight is a fight. Violence is violence in its simplest form, and when you have lots of experience with it you recognize that.

It does not matter if you are wearing a Hawaiian shirt, BDUs or a uniformed shirt, when the bullets start flying the only thing that matters is coming out on top.

I have heard the same thing through the years. "yeah but you were a cop, soldier, contractor, so that was different".

Nope not really.

Bullets don't care. They still tear through my flesh the exact same way No matter what I am wearing. I have been involved in both on duty and off duty altercations and it really does not matter.

Separate incident from above. My work partner and I were off duty when a doped up turd came into a convenience store and long story short was going to rob it. We were on our way to the range. The badges in our pocket really had no ability to protect us. We managed to call the on duty city uniformed guys and we waited until they got there and we took the guy down in the store. Bottom line is that it would have made zero difference if I was acting as a citizen or not. The shooting that was on the verge of happening would not make a difference if I had a badge in my pocket or not.

Bullets don't care.

Side note. My partner, being the jackass that he is, literally walked behind the counter where the clerk was (we were regulars there) put his 1911 on the counter and was scratching lottery tickets while I kept my eye on the guy who was sketched out by me watching him. He later said that he knew I had him, so he was going to scratch a couple tickets and cover things from there.

Freaking smartass

These are all reasons why I spend so much time away from civilization these days..

There's literally several hundred videos of gunfights you can watch online. If you watch hundreds and hundreds of videos and don't see something happen, I think its safe to assume that thing is likely not to occur. I understand it makes people feel good to have a spare magazine, and that's perfectly fine. But that does not indicate a necessity. What's more important than a spare magazine is a higher capacity gun
    Several hundred is a drop in the bucket of all the historical gunfights over time. The aim of gun designers has always been to increase payload on weapon and ease of reloading and carrying extra. This goes against small arms outcomes that have been proven time and time again that generally the side who has the most firepower (reads; boolits) wins assuming they don't get hit first.

User Tag List