Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: Massad Ayoob: Three reasons why you need to carry extra ammo and magazines

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    No. GJM is mildly trolling me. It was an opportunistic victim check. One guy approached and started to talk confrontational nonsense. Second guy was at a distance and didn't try to flank or engage in any way. The first guy gtfo'd after being met with a confident and unfrightened verbal and nonverbal response. I didn't feel bad about not having a spare mag but did feel stupid about not having my sports sandals buckled.
    No belt, check.

    No spare mag, check.

    No light, check.

    Sandals unbuckled, check.

    Russian mafia accent, priceless.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  2. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SC
    I started carrying a spare again after Buffalo.

    I think Buffalo and Uvalde both had guys with body armor? I know Buffalo did.

    I started several things. Carry a bigger gun to shoot and control well (acquired a duplicate to the gun I compete with), carry a spare magazine, and look to get a durable RDS (Iíll need to hit something small, long ways off, or give my self an advantage against someone with a rifle), start practicing dryfire and drawing from concealment with the same model gun I compete with. Look to start USPSA again.

    I was already carrying full size guns, but got a bit lazy with the spare magazine and dryfire.

    I like the idea of a P365, etc. and recommended one to a friend last week (he has to carry deep concealed and with a tucked in shirt) with an Enigma.

    I like the idea of pocket carry, but as one other said here - itís not the odds but the stakes.
    God Bless,

    Brandon

  3. #93
    Site Supporter Totem Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    PacNW
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    my sports sandals...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ĒFarming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.Ē
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

  4. #94
    According to Google, beer pong is a sport because it has its own world series. Sandals are legit sports attire.
    ďWell," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.

  5. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind the redwood curtain
    I almost always carry a reload, in part because once one makes the decision to carry and deal with the associated occasional minor discomfort and inconvenience, the spare mag or speed strip or whatever doesn't really add anything onerous to that. Better to be ready for the outlier event and it's not difficult.

    There's some good discussion above related to personal choices, and that's what I really want to talk about. Because I tend to be involved in a series of work projects that last for anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, and can be anywhere in the U.S. or beyond and in anything from an urban office environment to remote wilderness, I perhaps need to re-evaluate those personal choices more often than many. There's no single answer for what I do, so it's important to do that evaluation often.

    In the pandemic era, working from home, it's easy. I'm in a small place five miles off the main highway, violent crime is rare and no one can remember when the last homicide was, more than 30 years for sure. Any of several options work here. That's not been typical in the past though (and it's only 10 minutes drive to the nearest tweakers and junkies, so go over the bridge and the evaluation changes).

    The more remote project sites make it easy to carry whatever seems to be the best tool, and as many spare mags as necessary. General rule of thumb is the further from civilization and the greater the potential risk (illegal grows, dogs, feral pigs, etc., depending on where), the more spare ammo gets carried.

    Urban sites can be less intuitive. For a couple years I spent a lot of time in Oakland, which like most large cities is a fairly heterogenous place. What's counterintuitive is that while some neighborhoods are higher risk, there are also lots of NPE's which sometimes restricted the choice to a J frame in a pocket and a couple of speed strips. Having grown up in Chicago before carry was an option, I tend to think situational awareness is the single most important thing. Everything else is just for the rare time when that isn't enough.
    Last edited by Salamander; 06-23-2022 at 10:21 PM.

  6. #96
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I started carrying a spare again after Buffalo.

    I think Buffalo and Uvalde both had guys with body armor? I know Buffalo did.

    I started several things. Carry a bigger gun to shoot and control well (acquired a duplicate to the gun I compete with), carry a spare magazine, and look to get a durable RDS (Iíll need to hit something small, long ways off, or give my self an advantage against someone with a rifle), start practicing dryfire and drawing from concealment with the same model gun I compete with. Look to start USPSA again.

    I was already carrying full size guns, but got a bit lazy with the spare magazine and dryfire.

    I like the idea of a P365, etc. and recommended one to a friend last week (he has to carry deep concealed and with a tucked in shirt) with an Enigma.

    I like the idea of pocket carry, but as one other said here - itís not the odds but the stakes.
    We've had a couple weeks of highs in the 100s with a recent high of 106 degrees F.

    If you are serious about actually having a gun "at all times" pocket carry is a real thing.

  7. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We've had a couple weeks of highs in the 100s with a recent high of 106 degrees F.

    If you are serious about actually having a gun "at all times" pocket carry is a real thing.
    I have a Ruger LCP. I donít carry in the neighborhood often (mowing the lawn, walking in the neighborhood on lunch breaks), church, or in the gym.

    Iím contemplating an enigma, P365, etc. at some point for something like that. But pretty much everywhere else - grocery stores, parks, downtown, restaurants, etc. Glock 34 with a spare magazine. Itís comfortable for my body type for whatever reason.
    God Bless,

    Brandon

  8. #98
    Junk Carry Dude Kyle Reese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I have a Ruger LCP. I donít carry in the neighborhood often (mowing the lawn, walking in the neighborhood on lunch breaks), church, or in the gym.

    Iím contemplating an enigma, P365, etc. at some point for something like that. But pretty much everywhere else - grocery stores, parks, downtown, restaurants, etc. Glock 34 with a spare magazine. Itís comfortable for my body type for whatever reason.
    You can carry a P365/P365XL & a 15 round spare mag in an Enigma without too much bother. I am really digging mine.

  9. #99
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    NH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    You can carry a P365/P365XL & a 15 round spare mag in an Enigma without too much bother. I am really digging mine.
    I've become pretty fond of my well vetted, comped XL
    in a JM 2.5, conceals and carry's very well 7 days a week.
    Every time I carry something else, it just doesn't make sense...
    I go back to the WC XL with 407

  10. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    My perspective is that a spare mag will likely not be required for most people but is super cheap insurance with few downsides as long as it does not displace something that may be potentially more important (fixed blade, flashlight, etc) to complement your pistol.

    I like others have seen mags dropped in ECQC and I think it can be more than a training or skills issueÖI happened to end up with two guys ontop of me after running the 17T to malfunction (sim / FUT) and dropped the mag, ran the slide and tossed the gun. With multiple adversaries I could easily imagine one of them going into a 2 on 1 vs my pistol hand and being unable to effectively retain the mag because Iím defending with the support hand against positioning / strikes.

    In that circumstance I think a clinch pick is more important than a spare mag, as I have no illusions of doing a speed reload in a FUT, though in ECQC and in life situations are constantly changing and reloading the gun at a break in the engagement is plausible.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A57460
    CTC lasers : Pistols = ABS : automobiles

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •