Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightest Weight 9mm with WML?

Hammertime

Lightest Weight 9mm with WML?

I like to hike/camp. There is usually significant elevation gain involved and weight is the enemy.

What is the lightest weight vetted 9mm pistol that can accommodate a WML? Capacity does not matter to me.

I don't want to go down in caliber for the wilderness. I think the WML is super important when way away from urban light sources.

Currently carry a chopped to G19 with G26 mag in it and it is probably 30 ounces loaded with the WML and 28 without it. If I recall, generally Glock pistols tend to be lighter than any of the service pistol competition. But maybe I am missing something smaller or single stack. I just don't know which models will allow for a WML.

I predict this thread will steer toward a P365 of some sort.

I think you are correct with regard to where this thread will steer. I’m fairly certain a p365 will be one of the lightest 9mms with a WML.

G43x MOS has a rail. I’d expect it to be within an ounce of a P365–that’s the way I’d go if I was wanting light with a light.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    G43x MOS has a rail. I’d expect it to be within an ounce of a P365–that’s the way I’d go if I was wanting light with a light.
    Good to know I had a G43X and it weighed 3 ounces less than a G26, so maybe 4 ounces less than my current set up. I got rid of it due to not wanting to stock a bunch of new magazines/holsters, but maybe it is worth it?

Hammertime
    Okay I perused the Glock and Sig websites.

As @Totem Polar noted, the only slim line Glock with a WML slot is the G43X MOS. Glock still doesn't even have a slot on the G26.

If I go off the weights from the manufacturer sites, the Glock is 16.26 oz without and 18.55 oz with magazine. The 365 is listed at 17.8oz, but it is unclear if that includes the magazine or not? Clearly Sig wins the size factor issue here, but I suspect the Glock will be more tolerant of various muck.

Indeed, no indication on the Sig site how they weighed the guns, but I’d *guess it’s gun and mag as a unit, no ammo. The Sig and 43x are pretty darn close indeed; well within an ounce. Which makes sense, given the design constraints of making a 10-round 9mm that’s as compact as possible that still runs.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Could you tell us how you are going to carry your pistol? IE, open or concealed carry. If concealed, will it be on your person versus in a backpack? I am approaching this from the angle of weight distribution. If the pistol is on your hip, that's where all the weight is. A backpack or chest holster hopefully will distribute the weight better utilizing both shoulders. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    A backpack or chest holster hopefully will distribute the weight better utilizing both shoulders.
    If the weight of the pack is on your shoulders, it's not a very good backpacking pack (or you didn't adjust the straps correctly/got the wrong size frame); ideally, the shoulder straps provide minimal support, only to keep the pack from tipping backwards, the bulks of the weight should be on the hips.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Could you tell us how you are going to carry your pistol? IE, open or concealed carry. If concealed, will it be on your person versus in a backpack? I am approaching this from the angle of weight distribution. If the pistol is on your hip, that's where all the weight is. A backpack or chest holster hopefully will distribute the weight better utilizing both shoulders. Just a thought.
    I typically use a Safepacker on the backpack belt and transition to Kydex AIWB when in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    If the weight of the pack is on your shoulders, it's not a very good backpacking pack (or you didn't adjust the straps correctly/got the wrong size frame); ideally, the shoulder straps provide minimal support, only to keep the pack from tipping backwards, the bulks of the weight should be on the hips.
    Thanks for the insight Default.mp3. Obviously I don't backpack, but if I ever do, I will seek out professional help when setting up my equipment.

User Tag List