Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small RDO's - Alternatives to Holosun 507k?

Quote Originally Posted by lbsand View Post
    IMHO, US corporations created the Chinese Manufacturing Conglomerates. I prefer to buy American products but I also consider quality, durability and cost.

I recently took a Pistol Optics class with Hilton Yam, the owner of 10-8 Performance. He was using a Trijicon SRO but recommended and was very complimentary about the Holosun 508T. One of the students said something to the effect that Holosun is made in China. Hilton's response was; 'Where was your phone manufactured?' I asked Hilton if he felt the Holosun 508T was as durable as my Trijicon RMR? His answer; 'Absolutely'.

If I convert another pistol to a Red Dot, I may give the Holosun 508T a try. The exposed photo cell is my only complaint… So, perhaps a 507. If I don’t like the Holosun, I’ll lift it off and buy another RMR.
    I've been running the 508T and 509T for a good bit, the exposed photo cells on Holosun optics are a complete non-issue. I just ignore the cell's existence since the battery life is more than good enough. I wish they would make cheaper versions of their titanium pistol optics without the solar capability, but not because I think the solar is a liability. I just would rather not pay for it. The 507c has the solar too, no getting around it unless you go with the tiny 507k.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I've been running the 508T and 509T for a good bit, the exposed photo cells on Holosun optics are a complete non-issue. I just ignore the cell's existence since the battery life is more than good enough. I wish they would make cheaper versions of their titanium pistol optics without the solar capability, but not because I think the solar is a liability. I just would rather not pay for it. The 507c has the solar too, no getting around it unless you go with the tiny 507k.
    Thank you. I'll admit to being a tad anal, but wonder whether the optic would still function if the solar cell got smashed in a 'bad situation'? Anyone have experience or read about something like this?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a couple RMRccs and a couple 507ks. The holosun is definitely the better product though one of mine was a lemon tnat needed replacement out of the box. All of them run great now.

Quote Originally Posted by lbsand View Post
    Thank you. I'll admit to being a tad anal, but wonder whether the optic would still function if the solar cell got smashed in a 'bad situation'? Anyone have experience or read about something like this?
    I had a Glock 19 with a 507C get knocked off a bench at the range, taking a full on Aaron Cowan style drop on the concrete right on the optic. You could see the scratches on the housing, but the solar panel was fine. I looked at the glass, and there was a small delamination at the top of it. I checked zero and the optic maintained it's zero and still was functional, I could see through it just fine. Holosun replaced it for me no questions asked. The 508T and 509T are an order of magnitude tougher than the 507C.

I know the OP was asking about small RDO but I have a couple swampfox optics that I like. They are the liberty and justice models that use the rmr footprint. I also have a 407co, 508t v1, 509t, and a 507cx2.
    I haven’t had an issue with any of them and swampfox supposedly has a warranty/customer service that is as good as holosun. But to be fair I haven’t had to send any back.
    I believe swampfox has a rms foot print optic called “sentinel” that supposedly fits the p365.
    Just thought I’d share another brand worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I know the OP was asking about small RDO but I have a couple swampfox optics that I like. They are the liberty and justice models that use the rmr footprint. I also have a 407co, 508t v1, 509t, and a 507cx2.
    I haven’t had an issue with any of them and swampfox supposedly has a warranty/customer service that is as good as holosun. But to be fair I haven’t had to send any back.
    I believe swampfox has a rms foot print optic called “sentinel” that supposedly fits the p365.
    Just thought I’d share another brand worth considering.
    He's trying to find non-Chinese alternatives for his friend that is adverse to buying Chinese optics. Swampfox is the USA facing company for Shanghai Changhong Optoelectronics, which appears to be trying to duplicate Holosun's success by having their own optics brand as opposed to only manufacturing for other brands. I've had some Swampfox products and they are pretty good, although I wound up selling them and going with a Vortex Razor and Holosun titanium dots. The Swampfox Arrowhead has way better glass than you would expect.

User Tag List