Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small RDO's - Alternatives to Holosun 507k?

Small RDO's - Alternatives to Holosun 507k?

I know there is some stigma and/or people that refuse to buy Holosun due to being manufactured in China. But for features and ruggedness the Holosun 507k is extremely hard to beat. By my understanding its as good as it gets for that size optic. I have 2 and really like them.

I have a friend that is hesitant to purchase one, so I'm trying to find alternatives. The only one I know thats comparable is the Trijicon RMRcc. Any others that are non-China manufactured that are as rugged and have similar features?

*Sorry if this has been covered. But I was unsuccessful with the search feature.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    I know there is some stigma and/or people that refuse to buy Holosun due to being manufactured in China. But for features and ruggedness the Holosun 507k is extremely hard to beat. By my understanding its as good as it gets for that size optic. I have 2 and really like them.

I have a friend that is hesitant to purchase one, so I'm trying to find alternatives. The only one I know thats comparable is the Trijicon RMRcc. Any others that are non-China manufactured that are as rugged and have similar features?

*Sorry if this has been covered. But I was unsuccessful with the search feature.
    No.

The 407k/507k is hard to beat.

The RMRCC uses a unique footprint where as most of the small guns that come optics ready use the shield footprint as used on the Shield, Romeo Zero, and 407k/507k.

The other issue is the arm RCC requires removal of the sight to change the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No.

The 407k/507k is hard to beat.

The RMRCC uses a unique footprint where as most of the small guns that come optics ready use the shield footprint as used on the Shield, Romeo Zero, and 407k/507k.

The other issue is the arm RCC requires removal of the sight to change the battery.
    Yeah, thats the stand out flaw with the RMRcc. Alluding to my post. I doubt there is any optic that can stand up to the 507k - for same size and features. I know its a sample size of 1 - but the abuse that Aaron Cowan put it through and it kept its zero, that's got to mean something. And that was with a small crack in the lens after 4 drops on the concrete.

The Romeo zero is a no go. Jedi on my podcast said every class where someone brings one it most likely will fail to make it through the class.

Setting aside the battery issue with the RMRcc - it still seems to be the only one close.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

So - it'd still be nice to have a small list of the slim line optics that are at least available and members experience with them.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    Yeah, thats the stand out flaw with the RMRcc. Alluding to my post. I doubt there is any optic that can stand up to the 507k - for same size and features. I know its a sample size of 1 - but the abuse that Aaron Cowen put it through and it kept its zero, that's got to mean something. And that was with a small crack in the lens after 4 drops on the concrete.

The Romeo zero is a no go. Jedi on my podcast said every class where someone brings one it most likely will fail to make it through the class.

Setting aside the battery issue with the RMRcc - it still seems to be the only one close.
    We authorize the Romeo zero on back up off duty guns at work.It is very particular with regard to mounting But there was only one way and it’s not very tolerant of drops but otherwise they seem to work.

The optic body is plastic and you need to be very careful about not over torquing.

Suggest released a slightly upgraded version called the Romeo zero elite And they do make a metal shroud for the Romeo zero now.

The Romeo zero is essentially the clone of the shield optic and I believe the Crimson trace optic is literally a re-branded shield optic.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-30-2022 at 01:48 PM.

I recently pulled an RMSc off a 365 slide and replaced it with a 407K.

The 407K lens doesn't scratch like the RMSc, you can change the battery without removing the optic, and I prefer manual control of intensity. I am reluctant to go on a trip with the RMSc because of the difficulty changing the battery.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a 507K X2, a 407K, and an RMRcc. One on each of three similarly sized pistols. I prefer a single dot around 5-6.5 MOA, so even though it is a fine optic, the 507K X2 is the first eliminated when I try to "pick my favorite".

And for the same reasons listed by several forum members, the fact that the RMRcc has to be removed to replace the battery, the 407K is the winner for me, when choosing from the three optics mentioned. All in all, the 407K is probably the best mini-optic for the money by far. Amazing bargain, in my opinion.

I keep thinking that Holosun or someone else will introduce a mini optic that provides the user with three different dot size options (perhaps 2, 4, and 6 MOA) instead of dot, circle, and dot/circle options. But just three different dot size options may not be what shooters want when seeking options.

Trijicon pulled a Betamax with the RMScc.

They gambled that people would be loyal and get their proprietary cut but it backfired.

407/507k is the standard right now.

But that’s likely to change soon with small enclosed emitters.

Shield RMSc is still my preferred light duty small optic because I prefer a good light sensor to blazing dot that holds up in direct sunlight… is way too much for a darkened parking lot structure.

That’s just my personal opinion though. And Shield will change a plastic lens to a glass one for a small fee if you’re prone to scratching lenses.

Another way to think about it is:

I have BUIS on my carry gun. If the RDS is dropped and damaged, that’s not a big deal. I’ll use irons.

What I DON’T want is a broken RDS to prevent me from using my irons.

That’s the issue of a BLAZING bright dot in a darkened parking structure. You can’t see anything through and past it in the window. I would take a less robust dot and a light sensor that’s great but not perfect over a blazing dot.

But everyone is different. Aaron Cowan uses manual adjust and bright dot, so it’s a valid choice for sure.

I know Jedi doesn’t like the Shield, but mine (RMSc) had thousands of rounds through it (mounted on 3 different guns) and I never had an issue. Not duty related for sure, but I carried mine off duty and shot matches with it for a couple years.

Edit: I’ve had Riton, Sig and RMSc micro red dots. The Sog would be the last one I’d ever buy again. The Riton sits on my blue gun. The Riton I’m pretty sure is made by the same people (Chinese) who make the Swamp Fox micros.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I know Jedi doesn’t like the Shield, but mine (RMSc) had thousands of rounds through it (mounted on 3 different guns) and I never had an issue. Not duty related for sure, but I carried mine off duty and shot matches with it for a couple years.

Edit: I’ve had Riton, Sig and RMSc micro red dots. The Sog would be the last one I’d ever buy again. The Riton sits on my blue gun. The Riton I’m pretty sure is made by the same people (Chinese) who make the Swamp Fox micros.
    A dot on a blue gun. Ha! That's legit.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

User Tag List