Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving….

I used PODS from CA to TX and from TX to AZ. Packed and unloaded by is the first time and packed by us and unloaded by moving folks we hired the second time. It is much cheaper but you’ll have to put in some work.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Call XT Long Distance Movers in the Bay Area. They moved my family of 4 with enough crap for a family of 6 (basically a full 26 foot van) from the SF Bay to Colorado Springs for under 12K and provided Outstanding service! I would think where you are moving to is close enough to the East Bay that they might be able/willing to do it.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for keeping this thread moving.

So the results - ended up renting a 26 foot Uhaul for $500 and spent a few weeks of prep of boxing and selling things. We had an amazing community come and pack it up in 4 to 5 hours. One mom came with games and a plan just to wrangle the dozen or so kids that were there. I had some amazing employees show up early and stay late. One family brought a trailer and took a good load of trash and other forgetables to the landfill. I thought for sure it was going to be two trucks but a neighbor was an old trucker and taught all the young folks how to pack a truck.

The drive was two days but stayed with friends so the only cost was two meals, caffeine, and gas which ran about $800.

I found a 30 x 10 storage unit for $300 a month and got two dudes from a moving company to unload at the destination which I think ran $350 which was the minimum fee, three hour min but unloading only took two.

I think I spend $1000 in boxes, plastic wrap, and moving blankets and other assorted goods.

The bad to fly back to finish up the house sale prep and get my truck and trailer - had a hotel room on the 3 day drive but cooked all meals on my tailgate and gas - so $600 or so.

My wife and I probably a several hundred hours in packing, thinning, selling, and figuring. Didn’t track that well but we started prepping weeks before and I took 14 days before the pack day.

But the total move experience was probably $30k plus. The bigger costs were fixing/house sale prep - 8k, temp rental in California for two months- 5k, storage units (ended up with two for three months- 1.8k, closing costs on new house- 10k, set up for new house stuff - tv, couch, misc repairs, carpet replacement- 5k. It cost $800 for movers to get a good load from the storage unit to the new house and bring the furniture in and put it together.

We had a lot of things align that made it happen or go smooth.

Unsure if there is anything I would do differently - I might be more aggressive at getting rid of stuff, it was hard to know where we would move to and what I would need in terms of garden/landscape stuff. Also I ran out of time.

If I had to move right now, I’d take two weeks to box and prep and get movers to load the Uhaul. No community established to help me load. I would try to sell more but also do the calculus on the distance to move it and the replacement costs.

I have already gotten rid of an additional 300 items since getting into the new house. I just shipped 3 six foot cross cut saws to a trail organization and thinned 4 rolling tool chests into 2. I am going to try to hit 500 things gone. I also plan to build 2 more large carts for boxes to move/load efficiently. Carts are great for the small garage. I can shove everything to one side or in a corner and still get to things. I’d probably sell the small utility trailer I have and get a larger box trailer to facilitate everything. Probably the best thing I could do is build up my savings again do I got 30k to make it happen. Being able spend money to solve problems quickly was probably the best prep.

22K is crazy.

We're doing a PackRat container (16') for $6500 from WA to NY. That is all in. We're $450 in on moving boxes and supplies (Uline). We pack ourselves but have a week+ with the container in our driveway to do it.

Then ferrying ourselves and the pups around (long way around like almost 5,000 miles the way we're going south to TX and then north to NY).

Anything that doesn't fit doesn't go.

There is a lot to be said for uniform boxes BTW. For anyone that is doing a move. I use the Economy Storage File Boxes (15x12x10) with lids from ULine. At $2.25/each, 200# crush, they're a bargain for moving. We even still have a few of them left over when we moved from Austin to Chicago eight years ago. 50 is enough for most 3-bedroom homes.

I’m curious about how you packaged the crosscut saws. I have one I’d like to have sharpened but so far haven’t found anyone in southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    T.

But the total move experience was probably $30k plus.

I have already gotten rid of an additional 300 items since getting into the new house. I just shipped 3 six foot cross cut saws to a trail organization and thinned 4 rolling tool chests into 2. I am going to try to hit 500 things gone. I also plan to build 2 more large carts for boxes to move/load efficiently. Carts are great for the small garage. I can shove everything to one side or in a corner and still get to things. I’d probably sell the small utility trailer I have and get a larger box trailer to facilitate everything. Probably the best thing I could do is build up my savings again do I got 30k to make it happen. Being able spend money to solve problems quickly was probably the best prep.
    Shamwow! Yeah, there are a lot of hidden costs to moving from A to B - and then setting up shop in B. I got nothing particularly useful to offer (specially since the move is done) but I do have this. Yeah, getting everything containerized and then using the vertical space in the truck or whatever is crucial. Loading is a slow PITA; especially if you don't do it all the time. Unloading typically goes very quick.

I just completed a move this summer from Alabama to Virginia. This was a one-off situation because we owned the new place for a few years prior to making the final move. I could have held off and made one (or two) big moves via UHaul, but I opted to purchase an enclosed cargo trailer. Whenever it was time to head up to the new place for "vacation" I would haul a load. We sold the old house several months prior to actually moving and spent the interim in a very small apartment. Made the final move with the cargo trailer, truck bed/cab, and Honda Civic all packed to the gills. Its kind of crazy. We got rid of a ton of stuff, doubled the size of the house, and have a very large shop at the new place - Tinky Winky is still all full up!(sorry) Utterly amazing. Moving is an expensive pain in the buttocks.

ETA: One fairly significant downside to my piecemeal approach was that, any time that I could not lay my hand on a particular item (usually a tool); I would then have to guess, "Is it at the other place?" And sometimes I knew it was so I ended up with a few dupes. Ultimately, I was reduced to taking pics of the items in the shop so I could have some solid idea of what was where...

ET to Also A: Had I been smart, I would have bought the cargo trailer years ago. You don't need them often, but when you do, they are pretty great. Of course, at that point, not only are you "the friend with the truck", you're the friend with the truck and trailer so...

@BobM If you haven't done so, you might try checking out the Paul Bunyan Show in Loring, OH. Happens every year in October (google it). Everything having to do with cutting and processing wood. Lots of chainsaw action and honestly I don't recall seeing any handsaw stuff. But, there are a *ton* of vendors there along with a lot of people in the wood cutting/processing industry. You could probably ask around and find someone to hook you up. Too, you might just check the vendor list from this year and get some ideas.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 12-04-2022 at 07:35 AM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Shamwow! Yeah, there are a lot of hidden costs to moving from A to B - and then setting up shop in B. I got nothing particularly useful to offer (specially since the move is done) but I do have this. Yeah, getting everything containerized and then using the vertical space in the truck or whatever is crucial. Loading is a slow PITA; especially if you don't do it all the time. Unloading typically goes very quick.

I just completed a move this summer from Alabama to Virginia. This was a one-off situation because we owned the new place for a few years prior to making the final move. I could have held off and made one (or two) big moves via UHaul, but I opted to purchase an enclosed cargo trailer. Whenever it was time to head up to the new place for "vacation" I would haul a load. We sold the old house several months prior to actually moving and spent the interim in a very small apartment. Made the final move with the cargo trailer, truck bed/cab, and Honda Civic all packed to the gills. Its kind of crazy. We got rid of a ton of stuff, doubled the size of the house, and have a very large shop at the new place - Tinky Winky is still all full up!(sorry) Utterly amazing. Moving is an expensive pain in the buttocks.

@BobM If you haven't done so, you might try checking out the Paul Bunyan Show in Loring, OH. Happens every year in October (google it). Everything having to do with cutting and processing wood. Lots of chainsaw action and honestly I don't recall seeing any handsaw stuff. But, there are a *ton* of vendors there along with a lot of people in the wood cutting/processing industry. You could probably ask around and find someone to hook you up. Too, you might just check the vendor list from this year and get some ideas.
    Thanks, I forgot about that. I think it used to be in Nelsonville back in the 80s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’m curious about how you packaged the crosscut saws. I have one I’d like to have sharpened but so far haven’t found anyone in southern Ohio
    I sandwiched each saw between two pieces of plywood - one time I had some left over 1/2” Birch and made a fancy sandwich using stainless steel Allen bolts. The other saw were just 3/8 inch ply c/d which I ended up sanding and routing the edges as well because I am compulsive and wanted a good handling experience for postal folks. Then held together with wood screws. You could probably just fiber tape it as well. Be thoughtful marking where screws go so you don’t f the saw. I was also compulsive and painted a black label space and wrote the address in white paint pen.

There are a handful of people in the West that sharpen saws. I always shipped the saw to them.

https://www.lostcreekorganics.com/ - Lisa - she only sharpens in the winter and she is probably booked a year in advance

http://sharpcrosscut.com/sharpening - Dolly Chapman - a legend in the crosscut saw community
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 12-04-2022 at 11:20 AM.

User Tag List