Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OTDefense Grip Fix, anyone do it?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What would be the title of a doctor that specializes in such?
    Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I think it's less about the amount of hump and more about its position... The 19 is a shorter grip so the hump is further up into one's grip, as in there is less space between the hump and the beavertail when compared to a 17. That in my opinion is what makes the two grips feel so different and for me I vastly prefer the 19 to the 17 because the 19's hump fits my hand better. But every hand is unique.
    Okay that explains things nicely. Thank you.

Any follow up thoughts on this project @JCN?

I'm curious how you feel about the changes. Is the angle different now, as in does it present better for you?
    I have the Grip Force Adapter on my 19.3's and to my eye it seems like it should accomplish the same thing as this kit except for not reducing the grip size. The GFA fills in the gap above the hump while this kit removes the hump but both seem to end up with a flat backstrap that I assume would point the same as each other.
    My only issue with this kit is it eliminates the ability to attach magwells which I desire for pinky finger support (and looking tacti-cool).

Any follow up thoughts on this project @JCN?

I'm curious how you feel about the changes. Is the angle different now, as in does it present better for you?
    I have the Grip Force Adapter on my 19.3's and to my eye it seems like it should accomplish the same thing as this kit except for not reducing the grip size. The GFA fills in the gap above the hump while this kit removes the hump but both seem to end up with a flat backstrap that I assume would point the same as each other.
    My only issue with this kit is it eliminates the ability to attach magwells which I desire for pinky finger support (and looking tacti-cool).
    It makes a huge difference in index for me. I have most of my recent handgun index time on CZs and P365s which with dots present similarly.

Glocks present high for me, I could work around it but I don’t want to retrain.

MR920 with a smaller backstrap helps, but this works even better.

I think Grip Force is a very reasonable alternative.

My reasoning for avoiding it was:

1. On a Gen 3 you’re adding grip distance which makes it like an L trigger reach.
    2. I want the highest thumb web grip I can get for recoil control. I don’t like the Glock add on beaver tails for that reason and I figure the Grip Force would also push the strong hand down a few millimeters off the slide too.

Other things that I would work around would be attachment (I would E6000 or epoxy it in place) and / or blend it into the backstrap.

Regarding magwell, I haven’t looked but I was thinking about heat gunning the polymer at the factory magwell to flare it (after learning how soft it can get when stippling).

But epoxying a slim magwell to the frame would also be reasonable. Could also add back the bottom of the cut hump back to fit a factory well.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    It makes a huge difference in index for me. I have most of my recent handgun index time on CZs and P365s which with dots present similarly.

Glocks present high for me, I could work around it but I don’t want to retrain.

MR920 with a smaller backstrap helps, but this works even better.

I think Grip Force is a very reasonable alternative.

My reasoning for avoiding it was:

1. On a Gen 3 you’re adding grip distance which makes it like an L trigger reach.
    2. I want the highest thumb web grip I can get for recoil control. I don’t like the Glock add on beaver tails for that reason and I figure the Grip Force would also push the strong hand down a few millimeters off the slide too.

Other things that I would work around would be attachment (I would E6000 or epoxy it in place) and / or blend it into the backstrap.

Regarding magwell, I haven’t looked but I was thinking about heat gunning the polymer at the factory magwell to flare it (after learning how soft it can get when stippling).

But epoxying a slim magwell to the frame would also be reasonable. Could also add back the bottom of the cut hump back to fit a factory well.
    The GFA definitely lowers the grip a smidgen but it also saves me from slide bite so it's an acceptable trade off to me. The slightly longer trigger reach is not an issue for me.
    I'd glue and blend it but I was worried about the trigger housing pin and ending up with it getting stuck or unable to re-install it... I'm skeered.

The GFA definitely lowers the grip a smidgen but it also saves me from slide bite so it's an acceptable trade off to me. The slightly longer trigger reach is not an issue for me.
    I'd glue and blend it but I was worried about the trigger housing pin and ending up with it getting stuck or unable to re-install it... I'm skeered.
    Slide bite has never been an issue for me so I go for the high grip.

I used my brûlée torch just now and made my Gen 4 into a flared like Gen 5+ magwell.

Flared on right of screen, stock on left.

Name:  6DA66A86-7494-420F-B060-8469C3950027.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  37.7 KB

Whole thing flared.

Name:  D6D26EED-AA15-4293-A7DE-62EDABBFB2E5.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  EEB0F46C-EDB8-40F5-9C01-504E06B4EE31.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  25.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Slide bite has never been an issue for me so I go for the high grip.

I used my brûlée torch just now and made my Gen 4 into a flared like Gen 5+ magwell.

Flared on right of screen, stock on left.

Name:  6DA66A86-7494-420F-B060-8469C3950027.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  37.7 KB

Whole thing flared.

Name:  D6D26EED-AA15-4293-A7DE-62EDABBFB2E5.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  EEB0F46C-EDB8-40F5-9C01-504E06B4EE31.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  25.1 KB
    You're a madman and I love it, lol!
    Nicely done!