Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What justice is there in a world where only Taurus makes a 6-shot, DAO, 3” K-frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Needs a little touch-up after a year of use, but this is what I did to my KC. Tape and a fine brush, and it helps a great deal.

Attachment 89700

If I had the ability to play in Colt's parts bins: I'd start with a King Cobra Target frame for the adjustable rear sights (although I'd replace the sights with something more robust and aftermarket once available), add a bobbed hammer from the KC Carry DAO, and then put a 3-inch barrel on it. Colt has all the right parts, they just need to package them up the right way to satisfy this miniscule P-F market.... or else sell parts.
    It would jack up the cost, but a vent rib and I’d be on that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

I’d still like to see an aluminum frame Cobra. I think covid hosed up those plans.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You are 100% correct. I'm a Taurus hater. I would buy a Hi Point before buying a Taurus. In the recent past, Taurus revolvers were terrible. The pistols were fair. My shop recently took a chance on selling certain Taurus products. Most will end up in sock drawers. I'm surprised to see that some PF members have bought them.

I'm mellowing my dogmatic Taurus diatribe, but if you tried to give me one, I'd run as if you were chasing me with a bucket of shit.
    Wasn't suggesting you should or shouldn't like them. Only that the views of shoppers, as a whole, is a poor way to judge a firearm. Hell, even owners too.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yeah, for that price, I am very intrigued......

I really, really trust Caleb's opinion, but a part of me still hesitates buying anything from Taurus, even bottled water. I know they have new management, so I am politely hopeful.

But if that cute drunk lady with the great sense of humor swears she's off the sauce, I'd still want some prolonged observation time.

@jetfire - I think all of us would be interested in your thoughts when you have time.
    I haven't had as much trigger time with the new 856 as I'd like, because of travel and .mil stuff. Everything I said in the video reflects my original opinion: Taurus did a great job with this gun. They put a bunch of serious revolver shooters in a room and said "what kind of gun do you want for a belt gun EDC" and we said "3 inch DAO with fixed sights, chamfered charge holes and good grips"

And they made it.

Now, minor quibbles: the trigger is heavy, but it's not bad heavy because it doesn't stack at the end of the pull. I'm going to change the grips on mine for 2 reasons: as much as I like them they're hard to conceal, and a couple of times the extractor trapped an empty shell on the grip. Those are very minor quibbles and are things that can be easily fixed with a trip to VZ grips.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    They really need to make that concealed hammer available as a drop-in accessory on the web site.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    They don't want customers to let the Brazilian gnomes out....
    Little hairy men wearing naught but thongs ?? Please don't let them out...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I haven't had as much trigger time with the new 856 as I'd like, because of travel and .mil stuff. Everything I said in the video reflects my original opinion: Taurus did a great job with this gun. They put a bunch of serious revolver shooters in a room and said "what kind of gun do you want for a belt gun EDC" and we said "3 inch DAO with fixed sights, chamfered charge holes and good grips"

And they made it.

Now, minor quibbles: the trigger is heavy, but it's not bad heavy because it doesn't stack at the end of the pull. I'm going to change the grips on mine for 2 reasons: as much as I like them they're hard to conceal, and a couple of times the extractor trapped an empty shell on the grip. Those are very minor quibbles and are things that can be easily fixed with a trip to VZ grips.

Thanks for the review!

What holsters are you using?

Do you believe this version of the 856 will be as durable as an LCR or comparable S&W?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thanks for the review!

What holsters are you using?

Do you believe this version of the 856 will be as durable as an LCR or comparable S&W?
    For my review I just used a K6s Galco Combat Master, I'm planning on getting an AIWB rig at some point, hopefully from JMCK

So, about ~8 years ago. A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of his. That friend-of-a-friend had recently been hired by Taurus to help revamp ALL of their QC checks and QA process. He told me when he was hired he told Taurus Execs that had to be committed to revamping everything because they had QC issues everywhere and that it would take ~5 years or so for them to implement all the necessary changes and brings things up to appropriate standards. To Taurus' credit, they said, "Okay." And let him go.

Now here we are 8-years down the road and Taurus builds revolvers that are better in quality than Smith and Wesson right now. On the one hand, I'm (pleasantly) surprised, because they saw it through. On the other, I am not surprised, because if you actually do it, you can get quality pieces. Would I trust an 856 to run 20k without breaking down? No. But I wouldn't trust a Smith to make it 20k either and the Taurus is 1/2-1/3 the price.

In the meantime, I'm cautiously optimistic about how these guns are doing out there in the world. Optimistic enough, I might well buy an 856 and give it a run. Because 3" D-Frame sized guns are 100% my jam.

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    Little hairy men wearing naught but thongs ?? Please don't let them out...
    Wouldn’t Brazilian gnomes be hairless, at least in one spot?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Wouldn’t Brazilian gnomes be hairless, at least in one spot?
    Brazilian gnomes don't get brazilians?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List