Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIRT Red Dot Trainer

SIRT Red Dot Trainer

Here's something we put together with the help of Boogeyman Customs in Tucson. It is one of the new NLT SIRT 115 pistols that is Gen 5 based.

https://nextleveltraining.com/product/115/

The finger grooves are gone and there are bumps for the ambi slide release molded into the frame. These are probably the biggest changes over the older 110 model. The trigger is "improved" over the old model but still isn't quite the same as the real deal.

Boogeyman cut this with their standard RMR cut and we replaced the plastic sights with plain black suppressor sights from AmeriGlo. The slide is topped with a Holosun 407 which fits fine into the Boogeyman cut. No Loktite or anything was used and is probably unnecessary since the only moving part is the trigger.

Once assembled I dialed the optic dot to sit right on top of the iron sights. Then I dialed the SIRT laser to hit with the dot at a distance of about 12 paces. The two dots are slightly offset depending on distance which probably isn't a bad thing.

Overall I think the project has turned out nicely. The use of an actual red dot vs the cheap plastic "hood" NLT sells is the only way to go. Now we don't have the use the trigger take-up laser as the pretend aiming point.

Some people (myself included) have been critical of the SIRT because shooters can become more concerned with watching for the laser flash on the target instead of seeing the laser strike where the sights are pointed. But with the red dot installed it seems the shooter now can be target focused and correctly observe both the aiming dot and the shot indicating dot.

As we slowly explore the use of dots on our current handgun we'll try to get more of these made and passed out for instructor use. My plan is to have a "library" of sorts so these can be checked out by students and returned after a few days or weeks so that the next student can check one out. Ideally we'd have a very large inventory of these available to be checked out. Maybe eventually we'll get there. All it takes is money...

Happy Saturday!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 05-28-2022 at 07:54 AM.

I would buy one! Seriously, sell me one please!

My wife did one using a Romeo 3 Max a month or two ago. Attached the optic with industrial Velcro.

Name:  3F8E792A-466F-4C13-B451-2398A50153B4.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  22.1 KB

Name:  F11D249F-7D85-44BF-9B76-2F40246D735F.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  34.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I would buy one! Seriously, sell me one please!
    Boogeyman can easily cut you a slide. They initially had some concerns about the cut going into the plastic laser housing but that hasn't been a problem. After that it is just a matter of sourcing whichever dot and deciding if you want to incorporate taller irons as part of the dry fire regimen.

Speaking of irons I found out after the fact that Boogeyman can source some aluminum sights. These would be the way to go as they would be cheaper than the steel AmeriGlo and certainly durable enough for this application.

Ideally someone would make taller plastic sights. Maybe NLT themselves should look at making this same gun as a factory offering.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife did one using a Romeo 3 Max a month or two ago. Attached the optic with industrial Velcro.

Name:  3F8E792A-466F-4C13-B451-2398A50153B4.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  22.1 KB

Name:  F11D249F-7D85-44BF-9B76-2F40246D735F.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  34.7 KB
    That's certainly a good way to go. We also thought about buying a dovetail rear sight plate but decided to direct mill to try and keep things as "realistic" as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That's certainly a good way to go. We also thought about buying a dovetail rear sight plate but decided to direct mill to try and keep things as "realistic" as possible.

Agree, a non solid mount gives micro wobble that actually hurts my training so I much prefer to have a solid mount at the appropriate height. I’m sensitive enough that my brain doesn’t like it when my training analogues aren’t faithful and I notice a difference (others may not).

Here's the cut itself. Note the slide is cut clear through at the front. But this doesn't impact function.

Here's the cut itself. Note the slide is cut clear through at the front. But this doesn't impact function.

That looks fantastic!

That is super cool I didn’t realize the new models were for sale yet. I went ahead and bought a 115 and am going to do the same as you.

How’d you get a red frame? A prototype or something? Looks cool. The only option on their site I see is red slide with black frame.

User Tag List