Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Colt King Cobra Target .22

If you bring a different Colt, custom Gunsmithing paperwork, and a check, they’ll let you walk right into the factory. It’s the obvious next step in my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I've been trying to find one of the now discontinued 4" GP100 .22LRs, because the 5.5" gun is unnecessarily long. I was about to settle for buying a Smith 617, but I'm reticent because...well...we've seen Smith's quality issues. I even considered a Taurus, but the only offer a 9-shooter.

So, when I saw this, this morning, on IG I was pretty stoked. Add a 4" one to the list with the 3" Python, the next year is going to be a 'spensive revolver year (oh well).
    You might consider an earlier Smith 17 or 18. The 18 is my favorite and recommended.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

I have been looking forward to this release and I was able to pick up a 4" King Cobra .22 earlier this week locally. I put a quick ~100 rounds through it this morning. It would have been more but it was cold.

A few random thoughts:

*Accurate. I didn't put it on paper but it was stupid easy to ring steel at various distances with several types of ammo.

*Reliable. I was using CCI and Federal. Obviously not a high round count but the Federal was really old and has stored in a barn.

*Trigger is smooth, smooth faced, and really light. Especially for a rimfire. I would say it is excellent, which the exception noted below.

*High capacity assault cylinder

*Looks nice

*Sights (sort of)

*It has alarmingly almost no recoil. I know it is a .22 but it is really smooth. For some reason I think it moves less than a 617.

Dislikes
    *While the trigger is light, the return is also really light. It took me conscious effort to make sure let the trigger fully resets. I had to almost lift my finger off the trigger to make sure it reset. It is much weaker than the return on a .357 King Cobra or the Python. Or of course a S&W. Not sure if this is just my sample or part of the design. It is a bit annoying.

*Sights (sort of). I like the fiber optic front with blacked out rear in in general. And it is always my preference. But the fiber on the front is too big. And the rear sight......ah the rear sight.... You know the guy who invented the theory, "a 1911 has to rattle to be reliable"? I don't know who he is but his grandson works at Colt installing rear sights on their new revolvers. Just like the Python, the rear sight shows up loose across multiple axes and mine shifted towards the end of my session. The sights are better (for me) than what comes on the Python or the 3" King Cobra but they could use some improvement.

*Grips. I like the shape of these grips on the 3" .357 King Cobra but they are too small for my hands on this gun. I tried some Hogues I had but they are still too small. I need to find some target stocks.

*It is noticeably front heavy. I expect the 6" version would be really nose heavy and I would avoid it. Hopefully some targets grips will balance it out.

*Kinda disappointed that the chambers aren't recessed.

I'm glad Colt is making these and I like the gun. If you like well made .22's I think you would be happy with this one. The changes I will make is definitely the grips and maybe the sights.

Name:  IMG_5167.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  43.1 KB

Compared to my 617-1? I like the Colt sights better, assuming they can be tightened down. Triggers are different but probably a slight preference to the heavier trigger on the 617. The Colt trigger is definitely lighter. Balance is much better on the 617. The 617 is about 8oz heavier. The grips on the 617 are much better. The Colt has the high capacity assault cylinder. Speed Bees makes reloader for the 617 but not for the Colt....yet (hopefully).

Versus a new 617? I like the assault cylinder but I really hate the internal lock so I'm not sure. #FirstWorldProblems

Name:  IMG_5171.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  45.9 KB

Versus a new 617? I like the assault cylinder but I really hate the internal lock so I'm not sure. #FirstWorldProblems
    Like a lot of the high-capacity assault cylinder guns, that started in the 90s. They made the 10-shot 617s with no lock for several years. There's one -4 on gunbroker now that ends in 2 days $1999 LNIB with no bids. 6" though. The 4" guns pop up now and again. But for a rimfire IDK if the lock matters all that much. The MIM parts are a total wash since the .22s already had the frame-mounted-firing-pin since time immemorial. The forged parts didn't have a hammer nose so it doesn't buy you more leeway to fiddle with springs for a lighter trigger. Etc.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956036498

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Like a lot of the high-capacity assault cylinder guns, that started in the 90s. They made the 10-shot 617s with no lock for several years. There's one -4 on gunbroker now that ends in 2 days $1999 LNIB with no bids. 6" though. The 4" guns pop up now and again. But for a rimfire IDK if the lock matters all that much. The MIM parts are a total wash since the .22s already had the frame-mounted-firing-pin since time immemorial. The forged parts didn't have a hammer nose so it doesn't buy you more leeway to fiddle with springs for a lighter trigger. Etc.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956036498
    I totally agree, there is nothing wrong with the modern 617’s from a mechanical standpoint. The ones I have handled seem to be fine guns. My objection to the lock is solely based on aesthetics (and a little politics).

Site Supporter
    Finally got see one of these in stock at an LGS.

Do these use the same sights as the Pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Finally got see one of these in stock at an LGS.

Do these use the same sights as the Pythons?
    From WC:
    NOTE: This sight will ONLY fit new production Colt 2020 Python, Anaconda, and King Cobra target models. Will not fit any additional older models.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    From WC:
    NOTE: This sight will ONLY fit new production Colt 2020 Python, Anaconda, and King Cobra target models. Will not fit any additional older models.
    A quick note on this.......back in January I purchased a set of WC Python sights to put on my King Cobra Target .22 and they do NOT (easily) fit. The rear sight would bind up and the supplied roll pin was slightly too long. I was never able to install the front sight because I think Colt concreted the front sight screw in place. This lead to a whole ordeal (mostly my fault) but I now have the gun back. For what it is worth, the newly installed rear sight is not loose like the original.

Not sure if this was just my particular example or if they do not easily fit across the board. The two sets of WC sights I installed on my Pythons were easy drop in parts.

Some additional random thoughts on the .22 King Cobra:

*I tried a set of King Cobra Target grips and they are too large for my hands (I wear a size Large glove). They do look nice. Grip offerings seem to still be limited for anything other than "carry" type grips.

*My particular gun seems to be very accurate with Remington Golden Buckets.......which is pretty nice.

*The weak trigger rest is still annoying.

Name:  IMG_6039.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  62.3 KB

It seems WC has since omitted “King Cobra Target Models” from Colts that will accommodate their sights.

User Tag List