Thread: j frame front sight drill bit size

j frame front sight drill bit size

What's the recommended drill bit size to install a new front sight in a J frame?
    340PD new XS standard dot.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

IIRC a 55 wire gauge drill bit. Call Brownells gunsmith question line and they can tell you. The drill bits are small wiry and fragile. I use a hand drill and cutting oil.

I think there are standards, based on the diameter of the roll pin.
    But if you have a set of number drills maybe try slipping the shanks into the empty hole until you find the best fit. Also, they may say so in the instructions, but they typically suggest drilling in from both sides, it will be off a little but meet close enough in the middle.
    And, now I am not trying to jinx you, but iffin you might need another roll pin for some reason, Fastenal sells weird stuff like tiny roll pins individually if you order on the www, and I think it gets shipped to the store with no charge, or can be delivered.

Harbor Freight 60 piece drill index size #53 was perfect.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Well..

Got pics of the new sight installed? I ended up using .063 stainless pin on mine..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Michpatriot; 05-28-2022 at 10:48 PM.

A #54 works on my K-frames.

User Tag List