Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    ...after receiving a full penetration 10.000 degree lightsaber stab through the midsection...
    Exactly. Either getting skewered through the brisket kills you, like it has everybody else in the history of the Star Wars universe, or it doesn't. The fact that two characters were so (allegedly) dispatched and yet seemed to live was, pardon my French, total utter bullshit. Both characters who got stabbed should have been done, then and there. *OR* lightsabers are not as powerful as every other bit of the story says they are. *That* bit was nonsense and more than hard to swallow.

Other than that, I thought Kenobi was feckin' great. Ewan McGregor was fantastic. Ice Cube's son was too and I can't get over how much he looks like his Dad. Well done.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Flawed on so many levels……

While it has its good parts, it felt like mediocre fan fiction. Which is basically what it is.

I can’t garner the hatred for it that I have for the sequels, but I will have to pick and choose what I can from this. It just really throws so much continuity out the window.

After the absurd firing of Gina Carano I decided to keep my subscription to D+ in my effort to support Dane Filoni and Jon Favreau’s vision for the future of the Star Wars franchise. Book of Boba was a dud compared to what it should have been and Kenobi was a total let down overall.

This coupled with Disney corporation’s desire to take political and social sides means that it’s time to pull the plug on D+.

Site Supporter
    I miss the books I grew up with that continued the story honestly. I liked the prequel movies. Just honestly the only thing they have is grogu

sadly, they didn't care for the storyline of the original movies. Leia and Obi-Wan weren't supposed to know each other, just by hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    sadly, they didn't care for the storyline of the original movies. Leia and Obi-Wan weren't supposed to know each other, just by hearsay.
    Likewise, Vader's line makes it pretty clear that this is their first meeting since Kenobi took him down and left him to barbecue.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    Exactly. Either getting skewered through the brisket kills you, like it has everybody else in the history of the Star Wars universe, or it doesn't. The fact that two characters were so (allegedly) dispatched and yet seemed to live was, pardon my French, total utter bullshit. Both characters who got stabbed should have been done, then and there. *OR* lightsabers are not as powerful as every other bit of the story says they are. *That* bit was nonsense and more than hard to swallow.
    Eh. Darth Maul got straight up lightsabered in half and lived. Lots of things like that happened to lots of characters in the EU and the clone wars series which were still under Lucas' control. That weapon was never a guaranteed one-hit-wonder. Even in the OT it was mostly a cool thing they used to deflect blaster fire or lop off limbs. Does Luke even kill any stormtroopers with it before Return of the Jedi?

Then of course Vader stupidly assuming Kenobi is dead, after which Kenobi stupidly spares Vader because feelz, was utterly convincing.
    Less stupid and more arrogant. Both Vader and The Senate's arrogance as a character trait has been there more or less from the beginning. Anakin trying to take Dooku alone, The Senate lets Yoda flee never bothering to track him down and just sorta assumes order 66 got them all (until Filoni started to backfill what happened between the prequels and OT in the clone wars series). I think Vader dropped a rock on Asoka and then just sorta walked off assuming he won. etc. "The arrogant villain assuming everything went to plan" probably has a tvtropes.com entry somewhere. Vader just assuming he won because he's a badass is the most believable part of that character. He was never the analytical type that would want to see the body to make sure.

Lucas always put aesthetics over the story. Both Obi-Wan and the Mandalorian work because they look good first and the fact that Favreau/Filoni managed to fit a good story in there is a bonus. The finale lightsaber fight looked amazing. Revas ship moving at the speed of plot can't change that.

Lucas threw a lot of that out himself. In the OT Leia talks about "remembering her mother" or something and then in prequels Lucas just straight up kills Padme as soon as a nurse droid cuts the cord on Luke and Leia.

We're coming up on 60 years of attempted continuity based on a story Lucas hacked together when he wasn't busy making the special effects look good. You gotta just roll with some of it.

This is really the issue I have with it. Cheep feeling special effects and cinematography and the “bestest evarr” antagonist can be overlooked - but to have such a strong bond between Obi Wan and Leia completely changes how ANH should have gone.

I will say the one part I liked was the service done to Owen and Beru. Small consultation though with the discontinuity they just created.

Hard to imagine how this got past Filoni (or if he was even privy to it).

Site Supporter
    I subscribed to Disney last month to watch Andor.

That was quite good. I tried watching Obi Wan and stopped after an episode and a half. Everything seemed stilted, the effects weren't very good, and the main action seemed to be a child slowly running away from adults. Maybe it was filmed during Covid and everyone was in a different room or something, but it was pretty blah.

I went ahead and just watched the Honest Trailers version to see if I missed anything.

I think I'll cancel Disney for a while and tune back in a year.

Andor was OUTSTANDING!

My only complaint was the LGBT love story they tried to insert.

That aside - the way they are showing the dystopian regime the Empire was.as well as the fledgling rebellion was something I’ve been looking forward to for years.

I’m also very happy with The Bad Batch and season 2 is awesome so far!

User Tag List