Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Top Gun Maverick

My wife and I took our teenagers on movie night last night. They loved it! Recommend it for a good time regardless of age.

Watched it the other day with all the other retirees on a Tuesday early-PM matinee. Now my wife is saying she wants to go see it again. It was worth the 34 year wait.

Site Supporter
    I'm planning to go see it in the next while. I work at home a lot so I may sneak out to a matinee. I haven't watched the original all the way through since it was in theaters. So for those of you that have seen it, how much will I get out of re-watching the original before I go?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    So for those of you that have seen it, how much will I get out of re-watching the original before I go?
    Worth it. I waited to rewatch the original until after I saw Maverick. Well, rewatched it in between the first and second time I saw Maverick. Even picked up on some subtleties that I haven't seen mentioned in some of the easter egg breakdown videos floating around on YouTube.

For example (spoiler alert—below posted in white; highlight to read)

Maverick is walking behind Rooster on the flightline, trying to get his attention, while Rooster's clearly ignoring him. "Rooster! Bradley! LIEUTENANT BRADSHAW!" Anyone else pick up on that as a callback to Charlie walking behind Maverick in the original? "Lieutenant. Maverick. Lieutenant!" Meanwhile Maverick ignores her, cranks up his motorcycle, and pretends he can't hear her.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'm planning to go see it in the next while. I work at home a lot so I may sneak out to a matinee. I haven't watched the original all the way through since it was in theaters. So for those of you that have seen it, how much will I get out of re-watching the original before I go?
    My wife and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum on this. I don’t believe you need to see the original before going to see this movie. Sure, there is a lot of fanfare but I believe the movie itself stands on its own. Especially if you know the premise of the original. That being said, it certainly doesn’t hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    My wife and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum on this. I don’t believe you need to see the original before going to see this movie. Sure, there is a lot of fanfare but I believe the movie itself stands on its own. Especially if you know the premise of the original. That being said, it certainly doesn’t hurt.
    I think if you can recall what happens to Maverick and Goose in the original, you know all you need to know.

Just got back from seeing the movie....I thought it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I think if you can recall what happens to Maverick and Goose in the original, you know all you need to know.
    I like some of the Easter eggs, though. His girl Penny, the admirals daughter, is a mention from the first movie....as well as the hot girl driving a classic Porsche.

The Kawasaki bike, t-shirt, jeans, and flight jacket.

"Time to do some of that pilot shit, Mav".

Stuff like that can't be appreciated the same if you haven't seen the original.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-18-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List