Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther new 22 mag pistol

Walther new 22 mag pistol

Walther wmp .22 mag pistol. Optic ready, 15 round mag, paddle and button mag release. Seems interesting. I do wonder if it’s made by walther or if it’s made by umarex. With Speer, hornady and now federal coming out with .22 mag “defense” loads its kinda cool to see some other manufacturers come out with more defense minded .22 mag. I see the appeal and the niche for this. I think it looks like a fun gun to shoot and I wouldn’t mind trying it out as a small game gun.

https://waltherarms.com/wmp/
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Jeez I’m really trying to come up with a good reason for this now that .22WMR costs almost as much as 9mm….
    It’s interesting and if ammo was still 9$ a box then it’d be a fun practice gun.
    My single six convertible handles both and I usually only shoot a couple of cylinders of magnum after a session to scorch clean the lube from the LR ammo out of the barrel. And get some fun blast out of it.
    For a dedicated pistol I can’t see the purpose of it. .22LR is all you need for small game. And for training you might as well shoot 9mm for close to the same cost. I wish my Glock 44 worked with optics but apart from that it’s a more practical choice.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's the same length and size as a full-size PDP, about three ounces heavier, and holds three fewer rounds of a much smaller cartridge. WTF?

Kel-Tec has had the PMR-30 holding 30 rounds for a dozen years already. The FN and Ruger 5.7x28 pistols hold 20 rounds.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-26-2022 at 02:58 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Basically the size and close to the weight of a full-size service pistol, but it only holds 15 rounds of .22 WMR? Kel-Tec has had the PMR-30 holding 30 rounds for a dozen years already. The FN and Ruger 5.7x28 pistols hold 20 rounds.

If you're going to carry a round that may leave you needing to hose the bullets into a threat for awhile, I don't see why you'd go with such a WMPy capacity.
    A more reliable magazine design perhaps?

For a field pistol I see the appeal. With a dot I would feel comfortable (assuming the accuracy is there) shooting some of our bigger small game farther than a regular .22. .22 mag is still cheaper than 9mm around me especially so with premium 22 mag vs 9mm. The kel tec may hold more but it has a fixed rear sight (actually fixed not driftable) the optic mount is different and it’s a kel tec.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    For a field pistol I see the appeal. With a dot I would feel comfortable (assuming the accuracy is there) shooting some of our bigger small game farther than a regular .22. .22 mag is still cheaper than 9mm around me especially so with premium 22 mag vs 9mm. The kel tec may hold more but it has a fixed rear sight (actually fixed not driftable) the optic mount is different and it’s a kel tec.

Yeah the Kel-Tec sights are horrible. And I have read mounting optics causing issues.
    The only other option for a semi-auto 22WMR is the Rock Island one that is built on a 1911 frame, and it has I believe 10 round mags.

There is now 3 options for 5.7 handguns, from FN, Ruger and Palmetto, but ammo is still $1 a round for even AE FMJ, so the WMR ammo is still cheaper, when either is available.

It still works out economically for me and my 351c, because WMR is still cheaper and more available than .38 Special for my 442.

This Walther option has a lot of good features, but the low capacity, overall size and weight for such a small cartridge, and the funky dual mag releases makes it not very appealing.

With the "three shields" Cologne proof mark, this is made by Umarex.

As mentioned above, the mag release is almost everything ever invented, although it is missing a P-38 style grip mag release. Hers are the words from the Walther link:

"Featuring an optics-ready slide, best-in-class ergonomics, and a first-time patented ambidextrous reloading mechanism incorporating both paddle and button releases called the Quad Release. With 4 total activation points, the Quad Release mechanism is the most versatile ambidextrous mag release ever created."

I never liked the Walther levers (but did like the HK ones) and that is one reason why I sold off P99s and moved into the world of PPQ and PDP.

Bart Noir

Talking

Oh yeah, it doesn't have any old Beretta style mag release button on the grip. So I guess I shouldn't say they went overboard with releases

Wonder if a 22 lr version might be coming at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    Jeez I’m really trying to come up with a good reason for this now that .22WMR costs almost as much as 9mm….
    It’s interesting and if ammo was still 9$ a box then it’d be a fun practice gun.
    My single six convertible handles both and I usually only shoot a couple of cylinders of magnum after a session to scorch clean the lube from the LR ammo out of the barrel. And get some fun blast out of it.
    For a dedicated pistol I can’t see the purpose of it. .22LR is all you need for small game. And for training you might as well shoot 9mm for close to the same cost. I wish my Glock 44 worked with optics but apart from that it’s a more practical choice.

User Tag List