Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 49

This was what a lot of folks wanted for sure. I remember the "17k" that was popular when folks were grip chopping 17s. Better concealment at the grip, but maintaining the sight radius of a 17.

The problem is that this is the dream model of 2015 not 2023. This was a thinking man's Glock a few years ago, but with the use of RDS on handguns becoming so prevalent I'm not sure this still makes sense. Especially having it offered in the MOS capable form. The sight radius gained from the slide length is negated with a RDS that doesn't require it.

There is some what of a benefit if you're looking for the slide to help tuck the 19 size grip into you for carry. But the same thing is accomplished stuffing a 19 into a 17 holster.

I'm glad there is another flavor, but this is like a new Iphone or Call of Duty game. The same old gun with a small variation.

Glock seems to sell everything they make

Many think certain combinations of frame and slide shoot better for them, and spend a lot of their time comparing them instead of just practicing and getting better with what they’ve got

Glock is a for profit business

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    This was what a lot of folks wanted for sure. I remember the "17k" that was popular when folks were grip chopping 17s. Better concealment at the grip, but maintaining the sight radius of a 17.
    I toyed around with this combination for years prior to the GEN four. It wasn’t that I wanted the extra site radius, but I hate it to feel over Glock 19 grip. The Gen 4 19 minus back strap was better for me.

Is anyone else suspicious Glock introduced this "new" model in the middle of football season when San Francisco is leading the western division of the NFC? There must be a conspiracy here!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Many think certain combinations of frame and slide shoot better for them, and spend a lot of their time comparing them instead of just practicing and getting better with what they’ve got
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I toyed around with this combination for years prior to the GEN four. It wasn’t that I wanted the extra site radius, but I hate it to feel over Glock 19 grip. The Gen 4 19 minus back strap was better for me.
    I chopped a 17 and really liked it. I said for years, and especially when the 19X/45 came out, that a 17 slide on a 19 frame would be better. Glock still sold 45's as fast as they could make them so what do I know.

Red dots later negated any benefit from sight radius I thought I got at the time (as compared to a 19). I still have the frame.

Particularly for those using iron sights in a limited magazine capacity state I think this makes a lot of sense. I like the fuller-size grip of the G19 compared to a G48, and if I'm limited to 10 round magazines I don't need the additional real estate of the G17/G47 receiver to house a larger capacity magazine that I don't have and can't get. The slide length is appreciated for the sight radius benefitting use with iron sights.

Slap on a decent set of steel sights (tritium or not), a LTT/Booth Grip Anchor, a Gen5 extended slide and magazine releases, and I'd call it good

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

When LGS has a blue label one in I’ll probably pick one up.

When you think about it from a strictly business aspect, it makes perfect sense to make/sell these. The only thing “new” they have to do is change the programming on the CAD machines to change the 7 in 47 to a 9 on the slide.

If I was in charge of sales I’d get w/ the engineers and figure out what combos we could make and sell with just a change in the engraving on the slide. Then I’d make a few thousand of each at a time. They’d sell. When they’re gone I’d make a few thousand more, etc.

There are enough Glock fanbois out there that will buy whatever Glock sells to make it profitable.

Anyway, I’m still digging my “pre-production” homemade 49. One of these days I’ll get out and do some comparison runs with my 19 & 49 to see if there’s a benefit to one over the other.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List