Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: what training can I get to aid me in restraining disturbed young adults

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You are not doing combatives. You are trying to keep these kids from hurting themselves if the rooms already cleared.

I do have a background in a few different h2h systems but if a camera catches you doing anything but what your trained in through the district them you will be held liable.

Best advice is to hold on as tight as you and your partner can. If you're on their right side. Then use your right hand on their wrist and your left hand under their armpit. You 2 can guide them where you want. The tighter you hold the better. Don't loosen untill you have a plan. Keep your body in tight and when they bite, feed it. That means push into it.

Ideally you would have more than 2 but I've held big strong patients with one other person for 30+ minutes when we couldn't get a restraining device or meds at the time.
    We did go over the "push into a bite" stuff, which was completely new to me, and completely counter-intuitive. Handy information for fights in general.

Your advice here totally aligns with my verbal training. I really just want a day to work this stuff hands on.

I have already told my coworkers we really need to, and I seem to be very convincing these days. I think I have my game plan now, thanks!

But starting this thread has hammered something home for me: I need to go find a BJJ class for my mental health. After using my limited skills for the past two years in a very restrained way, I`m positively itching to get into some refereed, fully consensual fights where I can go closer to full-bore.

An ass whipping delivered by a twenty-something sounds positively cathartic at this point. ;) I find myself doing 45° footwork and throwing knee strikes some days to get out my aggression.

Thanks to everyone, again.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Name:  20191122_155849.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  19.3 KB

The scar is mostly hidden by the tattoo at this point. All three bites from 3 separate restraints all left scars. I'm very good at feeding the bite and my forcefeeding usually has the patient release quickly.

The above pic happened because I was pushing my shoulder into her mouth and the other nurse tripped and fell and her head got pulled off.

Later when talking about it she was really scared at the time because she didn't know why the bite didn't end the restraint. She thought I'd drop her.

It was bitter sweet because of the years of being molested by her dad who I reminded her of. When she was calm we could work together but as soon as she got amped up she saw her dad and targeted me. Understandably so.

I'd hesitate at this point to add any new combatives depending on your past and your ability to not use what you're learning on the mat. If you can separate the 2 then great.

Just remember that your job is to keep that adolescent safe.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire_cat View Post
    It actually does matter, as a lot of guys who train only in the Gi become dependent on Gi grips. It is good to train both, but no gi forces you to use the grips that work without use of the Gi, (e.g. 2 on 1, Kimura grip, etc). Obviously, only use techniques that are allowed by policy and law.
    I hear this a lot. Yeah, if you’re working on your berimbolos and playing spider guard all the time gi vs no gi matters. If you’re grabbing a wrist and going for a Russian tie, it really doesn’t. If you can’t transition between a same side collar grab and a Russian tie, then your fundamentals and understanding of grappling need a lot of work.

For most of us the issue is largely academic. If the clothes the other person is wearing or not wearing negates your ability to function, the real issue is you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    If the clothes the other person is wearing or not wearing negates your ability to function, the real issue is you suck.
    I can’t argue with that

Site Supporter

The scar is mostly hidden by the tattoo at this point. All three bites from 3 separate restraints all left scars. I'm very good at feeding the bite and my forcefeeding usually has the patient release quickly.

The above pic happened because I was pushing my shoulder into her mouth and the other nurse tripped and fell and her head got pulled off.

Later when talking about it she was really scared at the time because she didn't know why the bite didn't end the restraint. She thought I'd drop her.

It was bitter sweet because of the years of being molested by her dad who I reminded her of. When she was calm we could work together but as soon as she got amped up she saw her dad and targeted me. Understandably so.

I'd hesitate at this point to add any new combatives depending on your past and your ability to not use what you're learning on the mat. If you can separate the 2 then great.

I probably don't tell our inpatient psych nurses this enough, but serious props to you for doing the job you do.

Working with difficult people...whether they be inpatient psych, troubled kids, or anything in between...that's a hard job to do, let alone to do it right.

My job is positively pleasant by comparison and any time I've had a patient suffer a severe mental health crisis on my unit, I've been thankful as hell for the psych nurses who respond to lend a hand.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

BJJ.

My wife’s school system uses something called “Handle With Care”.
    #RESIST

Wink

I think that @03RN’s advice is “be a big motherfucker that’s already seen combat” 😁
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think that @03RN’s advice is “be a big motherfucker that’s already seen combat” 😁
    I do what I can with what I got.

RESPECT!
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Jumping in a bit late, but I have use Non-violent Crisis Intervention or NCI -Blue Card for years. It works for most situations and is legally defensible. I have been in a couple of lawsuits that were settled in our favor once we showed proof of competence and videos of the incidences showed us correctly using the techniques.

This was in a Mild/Mod setting and not Mod/Severe. I also work in Gen Ed school with a small number of M/M students. We did not have a large number of incidents. Working in a full time facility would be much different. There is an NCI Advanced Physical Skills course that is more appropriate for higher levels of physical intervention.

Last year I violated a principle of NCI and allowed a student to approach within striking distance. It was a kindergarten student and he managed to shove me in an awkward way that injured my back. It was extremely embarrassing because I am in good shape and have been in many more violent confrontations. It just reinforces that size does not matter, but safety does. I should have slowed down, stayed safe, and resolved the incident correctly.

Anyways, I would look at NCI-APS if you need more than the basic Blue Card.

User Tag List